Please Help!

@70 Tango Charlie , hi Charlie have you tried ventoy though ? i think its even easier ! Xfce vs Cinnamon ?
Hi Cap,
Yes, I went and looked at it, but I think that Etcher is easier to use {at least it is for me. maybe I'm gettin lazy in my old age. LOL.} I will go back and give it another look soon.
OG

if you do manage to boot up Mint just play with it for now. There is an icon to install on the live OS but i would suggest ,we use gparted from the Mint OS to look at partitions as they are before anything is done.

Also if you can get to that stage we should ask ask for @70 Tango Charlie to come back since he and others here @Condobloke are Debian derivative experts i'm not . I only half half a clue on Slackware :^) Also slackware uses elilo for uefi and Mint uses grub ; which i only dabbled in.
@fencritter @captain-sensible @Condobloke
Cap,
This is where Stage two will kick in. I'll put it together in the next day or so and post it. In the mean time...... patience my friend, as this old guy has to make sure that I am not screwing things up for Fen.
OG

Focus more on the task at hand and less on the endless arguments of one tool vs. another tool.
AMEN TO THAT !!!!!

I still use unetbootin.....shock horror !

Well done ! it is just the greatest feeling when you get it running !!

Screenshots would be great.

@fencritter - Congratulations and welcome to linux.org :) :)

Just a heads up on your original Post, with Ubuntu's tutorial, you need to read the fine print, sometimes.

The first page had a link on "several tutorials"

See Installation/System Requirements for more specific details on hardware requirements. We also have several tutorials that explain how to create an Ubuntu DVD or USB flash drive.

If you went to that page, and chose, towards lower screen

dKnLW7l.png

... you would have found the answer with the tool Etcher.

Sometimes it seems like you have to be a brain surgeon to understand the Tutues. :)

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks to everyone! I'm excited to say I've finally got Linux Mint running! @LorenDB I actually couldn't find the submenu you were referring to, so I didn't get the controller setting changed. But I've somehow got it running anyway? I'll have to come back later with screenshots of how I did it.
Fen,
Glad to hear it. Look forward to seeing your screenshots.
OG TC

@LorenDB I actually couldn't find the submenu you were referring to, so I didn't get the controller setting changed.
Interesting. I researched and read that Linux wasn't compatible with the RST mode. Oh well, who knows?

Unless you're running multiple disks, RAID is essentially useless because the system is mirroring/striping on a single disk. If that single disk fails, there is still no recovery, except from an external backup.

Therefore, while RST can be made to work with Linux, it's just a "fake".

Ok, so first: I apologize for the quality of the pics; I started to take screenshots, but found that it would be much less time-consuming taking pics from my phone instead of going back and forth saving multiple pics.

First on Windows, I inserted my usb stick. Then I used the search bar on the taskbar to find Advanced Startup settings. Then I clicked 'Restart' on the window that popped up. (Sorry I don't have the pics of these first two steps)
That restarted my laptop and brought up this menu:
step1.jpg
Then I clicked on 'Use A Device'.

After that I clicked on 'SanDisk Cruzer Glide'
step2.jpg

Then I got the Ventoy screen, where I hit enter to launch Linux Mint.
After that I got this:
step3.jpg
step4.jpg

Was this the right way to do it?

@Alexzee I haven't tried to do it with Ubuntu since the last time when I did it incorrectly. I may do that later, but for now I'll play around with Mint. :)

MODERATOR'S NOTE - SO JUST FOR CLARIFICATION, folks, the OP is now using Linux Mint 19.3 'Tricia' with the XFCE DE (desktop environment) - Wizard

Last edited by a moderator:
you have sort of gone into Windows choices. From a cold boot if i hit key F9 on my HP laptop i get a boot choice of hd or attached usb. if i use arrow down to choose usb it starts from usb. But never mind you got there. So at the moment you can live boot Mint live from OS and that where you are i assume. The main thing is you can't really do any harm

Its when you move to actually install mint or Ubuntu (your choice) that thins change permanently .

My problem is, I can't figure out which button will open the boot menu at startup. I've probably tried about four different buttons (including F9) and nothing works, it just continues loading and goes to my lock screen. I've also tried Esc, either F10, F11, or F12, and maybe F2. Maybe I should try some of them again, cause at this point I don't even remember them all...

Is there a quick boot option if so disable quick boot .it probably doesn't matter you have got mint up do you know you can do it again. One tip it doesn't matter how clever or not you are all you need is perseverance and interest. What seems perplexing now will seem clear as day

@fencritter: To open the boot menu, shut your computer completely down. Then get a small paper clip, pencil, or something like that and press the little button ("Novo button") beside the regular power button. This will display a submenu where you can access BIOS settings, boot menu, etc.

@fencritter: To open the boot menu, shut your computer completely down. Then get a small paper clip, pencil, or something like that and press the little button ("Novo button") beside the regular power button. This will display a submenu where you can access BIOS settings, boot menu, etc.
What is a "Novo button"? I've never seen one on any desktop or laptop that I've ever owned.

Typically, as soon as the power button is pushed, you start rapidly pushing an releasing the ESC button to get the Grub menu. On many systems popping the F12 key will get the alternate boot device menu and either Esc or F2 will open the UEFI/BIOS menu, which can be a bit tricky if what you want is Grub.

The Novo button is either a small button or pinhole with a backwards arrow icon next to it that resembles an upside down U . The Novo button comes with Lenovo Onekey recovery software. This allows you to enter Lenovo Onekey recovery if the PC fails to boot normally.

So....available on Lenovo pc's only

Members online