Please Help!

...and from another Aussie, here's a vid of what may be the OP's laptop, the first few seconds show the position.

Vid was found from a search on

Lenovo Ideapad FLEX-14IWL novo button

... and there are a couple more vids on the functions, I think.

Cheers

Wizard

As I mentioned, it is located in a small hole next to the power button.

The Novo button is either a small button or pinhole with a backwards arrow icon next to it that resembles an upside down U . The Novo button comes with Lenovo Onekey recovery software. This allows you to enter Lenovo Onekey recovery if the PC fails to boot normally.

So....available on Lenovo pc's only
O.K., so it's a Windows thing, and linked to the hidden partition that is used to recover a Windows install. Nothing to do with Linux.

Unless you're going for the UEFI boot menu...

Exactimundo - it is what Lenovo use for the function keys access to BIOS utility.

Wiz

Also perhaps you guys could help me with one more thing... I've been trying to download Gimp (an art program available for Linux) to Mint, but I keep getting an error message. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll post pics of the error in a few minutes when I can get on my laptop.

Ok, first I go to the download screen on the Gimp website.
download page.png

Then I clicked the download button and saved the file. After that I went to the location the file was saved to and double-clicked it to install.
save screen.png

Which then brought up this screen:
loading screen.png

After that, this happened:
error.png

On the website it looks like it thinks my OS is Ubuntu. Is Gimp only compatible with certain versions of Linux?

Gimp should be installed as default it is with slackware; if not the first choice should be via the repo
in the menu is there something saying "synaptic manager" or words to those affects ?

you can also get packages via the command line.

I've got Mint live might get the chance to have a look later ..ok i'm on here using Mint live Gimp is listed in package manager. menu ->system ->synaptic package manager -> search

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-25_19-37-49.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-25_19-37-49.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
from terminal you can do things like :
mint@mint:~$ apt-cache pkgnames gimp
gimp-help-common
gimp-dds
gimp-plugin-registry
gimp-gap
gimp-data
gimp-texturize

if you want to install gimp using terminal it would be :

sudo apt-get install gimp

also for info :

mint@mint:~$ apt show gimp
Package: gimp
Version: 2.8.22-1
Priority: optional
Section: universe/graphics
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <[email protected]>
Original-Maintainer: Debian GNOME Maintainers <[email protected]>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 15.8 MB
Provides: gimp-python
etc etc ....

synaptic package manager probably easiest - you just click in box left of package listing , it will say mark for installing then another dialgue pops up and shows the deps to be installed

So its left click on lm logo bottom left ->left click system icon-> move icon over to right , wheel down with mouse ->left lcik synpatic package manager

eg install geany -> mark-> apply

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-25_18-55-47.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-25_18-55-47.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Screenshot_2020-05-25_19-02-49.png
    Screenshot_2020-05-25_19-02-49.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Gimp....is it already installed ?......look in apps/programs/Software Manager......

@Condobloke Whenever I look in the Software Manager it just says 'not available'.

@captain-sensible I tried Synaptic Package Manager, but it didn't work. I clicked on anything that at least looked relevant and it won't install. I keep getting this:
scr2.png

Whenever I look in the 'All' section under the LM menu I can't find it either. I don't think it's installed.

Apart from gimp is everything working ok ? because this glitch has just reminded me you need to have a point where everything is ok you can go back to. It might be you have been overzealous I see you clicked 4 boxes when just clicking the one gimp should have been enough,that would be enough.so..unclick all the boxes that are in shown in images.also have you tried to install anything else .just checking to make sure no other conflicts.next open a terminal the black icon and type in : sudo apt-get update
That should update repo.next just click the single box next to gimp and try one last time.if it fails then I suggest we pause and get timeshift installed.

Just a heads up - even Brian's suggestion may or may not work. Good link, though :)

The OP's screenie of Synaptic shows GIMP with a red icon, ie it is broken, and there are 4 packages in the same category, see bottom of the Synaptic pane.

To clear broken packages, go to the top Menu - Edit - Fix Broken Packages and proceed. If, at the bottom of the pane, it says something like Broken Dependencies Now Fixed, you are good to go.

In the top Menu under Help, you can call up the Icon Legend to learn what means what.

@fencritter - Mate, I know you are keen but don't click and double-click everything you see, this is not Windows. That applies to your File Manager as well.

In Synaptic, you can click to highlight a package line, then right-click will give you an option to install or remove. Installing will also show you what is going to be installed.

More tomorrow

Wizard

Thanks for the help you guys! @Condobloke I read your link and tried the command line and it worked this time! :D Now, I've noticed that whenever I shutdown, everything I've saved or done (pics saved, settings changed) gets lost and it's completely reset every time I reboot. Is there a way to change that? I want to make sure I don't have to reinstall Gimp every time I reboot.

Do you still have the usb/thumb drive plugged in to the usb port ?

Did you actually install Linux or is it still running from the thumb drive ?

Nice spotting, Brian :)

@fencritter - your 4th screenshot at #31 on page 2 shows your desktop of your Linux Mint "Live" environment. Any and all changes you make in that are changes existing in RAM only for the duration of the session. When you unplug the stick or reboot, they are lost.

You have to install your Distro to a hard drive to have them persist. Is that what you want to do? Do you want to have Linux Mint available to boot into as well as Windows, called dual-booting?

Wizard

@Condobloke I have been running it from the USB.

@wizardfromoz I would like to dual-boot, so that I still have both available, but I'm totally open to installing Mint as well. I have no important files saved on Windows, so I wouldn't be losing much if I installed Linux. To install you would just click the icon on the desktop, right? Or would I need to do something else first? Or, will I need Windows for Linux to run?

Or, will I need Windows for Linux to run?

No.

If you want to run just Linux, it should be pretty easy-peasy to install just following the defaults in the installer, and making a couple of choices there, when available.

By the same token, if you prefer to dual-boot, similarly easy-peasy via the Installer. An advantage with that choice might be that if you find it is taking a while to work efficiently with Linux, you can bail out, reboot and choose Windows.Then when you are comfortable with Linux, blow away Windows.

There are virtues to both arguments, but you must make the choice.

While you think about it, have a check here

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Flex-14IWL.431888.0.html

and tell me if there are any significant differences with those specs and yours.

The main areas of interest to me are the 16 GB RAM, and whether it is just the one drive, 256 GB Solid State, or otherwise.

I have a 19.3 Xfce same as yours on USB stick, and can show you some screenshots of the install process when the time comes.

You've seen that there are others here ready to help if I cam catching zzz's, half a world away :)

Cheers

Wizard

BTW for other Helpers - Clement Lefebvre and his team at Mint decided (for unknown reasons) to stop shipping GIMP installed by default, with 19.3 - for using an app named Drawing instead. However it is still in the Repos as we have seen with the OP's Synaptic, so can be installed on her "finished product". ;)

Members online