Please! Recover possible deleted/unmounted hard drive

Superst4r

Reaction score
Credits
Hello ladies and gents. I have a absolutely horrible situation. Some how,not sure. Perhaps only a mistake by my 4 year old or something. But os will no longer boot from hard drive. I am still a fairly new Linux user and this is a massive headache. Then i topped the whole nightmare with a accidental live usb/rescue os boot usb because i was exhausted. Grrr, i really hope that the partitions are recoverable. Im using a Dell E6410 i7 160gb hard drive. OS was linux mint 19. No other OS. At minimum. I need to attempt to obtain Seahorse passMan and GPG keys. Some attempt was made to restore to a previous,day 1 of Mint install ,I cant exactly remember. (alot of stress,this and other) My home directory was also password encrypted. Hopefully this doesnt change anything. I know that specific password atleast. Please, someone help. I am currently only able to boot to live usb of current edition of Kali, but downloads of large files never succed and rynning toi many program's crashes it. Help

G'day Superst4r, and Welcome to Linux.org

More detail please.

Exactly which version of Linux are you running ?

Are you running Kali......if so, why ?

You appear to have a great deal of security devices there.....are they all necessary ?

Did you have 'Timeshift' installed and set up ?

I realise you are still stressed.....but some clear, concise detail will help us to help you.

No Brian it looks as though the OP (@Superst4r ) has lost control of his Mint 'Tara', and only has Kali on a stick to work with to recover data or fix the install. Is that so?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

@Superst4r if you can answer Condobloke on the Timeshift first, and if no joy then boot in with the Kali stick, establsih your Internet connection if need be and log into here, and give me the outputs for the following please

Code:
inxi -Fxs

#and

blkid

#and

lsblk

#and

fdisk /dev/sda -l  #that's a lowercase L

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW are you able to access another computer and download and burn Linux Mint onto another stick?

might need a loan of those new glasses of yours mate.....didnt see LM 19 !

What exactly does the computer do, or not do, when trying to boot normally? Do you see the GRUB screen? Or does it stop at a grub> or grub rescue> prompt? Does it present any errors to you?

What exactly does the computer do, or not do, when trying to boot normally? Do you see the GRUB screen? Or does it stop at a grub> or grub rescue> prompt? Does it present any errors to you?
I have basic same prob, using PCLinuxOS. Have to use Debian.iso to try to boot. Stops at Grub Rescue, no error. Ls command lists hd0,hd1 and hd2.

I have basic same prob, using PCLinuxOS. Have to use Debian.iso to try to boot. Stops at Grub Rescue, no error. Ls command lists hd0,hd1 and hd2.
Hello @Free Spirit! Although this thread is a little old and seems to have fizzled out, it is better if you open up a new thread to ask about your problem. Go to Forums menu at the top, then click the orange button in upper right to Post Thread. Thanks!

It stops at the grub rescue> prompt. 2 errors before grub rescue. 1 no such device: 00774dcb-466b-4964-acdd-e56d75c818d9. 2 unknown filesystem. Entering rescue mode... Only command allowed is ls, (hd0) (hd0 ,gpt5) (hd0 ,gpt4) down to gpt1 then (hd1).

@atanere wrote......Hello @Free Spirit! Although this thread is a little old and seems to have fizzled out, it is better if you open up a new thread to ask about your problem. Go to Forums menu at the top, then click the orange button in upper right to Post Thread. Thanks!

GO HERE

@atanere wrote......Hello @Free Spirit! Although this thread is a little old and seems to have fizzled out, it is better if you open up a new thread to ask about your problem. Go to Forums menu at the top, then click the orange button in upper right to Post Thread. Thanks!

GO HERE
Thanks, I did that. Was trying to run dual system. Installed PCLinuxOS on USB drive, was supposed to leave my he alone.

Thanks, I did that.
No, not yet. We are asking you to create a NEW thread with your problem... not tack on to someone else's thread. Tacking on to someone else's thread is commonly called "hijacking" and is impolite on a forum.

Here is a link to our General Linux forum. Please click this link to reach that page, then click the big orange button in the upper right of the page to "Post thread." Give your post a descriptive Title and then give full details in the post. Include details about your computer, which Linux distro, etc.

Thanks!

@Free Spirit, this is called hijacking someone's thread. It doesn't matter if you're here or at any other forum, you shouldn't jump into an existing thread and start explaining your issues, unless the thread is about a bug and you're saying you have the bug too. In this case you aren't joining in on a bug report, you have a technical problem. Joining in on someone else's technical problem makes helping you and the other person extremely difficult because we have to ask you questions and Superst4r questions and we need to ensure you don't get your questions mixed up with his questions and we need to make sure we don't get your answers mixed up with his answers and then trying to look back and remember what you did before and keeping it separate from what he did before, ugh it's just a PITA all around. So you HAVE to start your own threads for your own issues and that way no wires get crossed in trying to help you. Hope this explains why the guys above keep telling you to start your own thread.

FYI, I started writing this before @atanere posted his message above and didn't see it till after I posted :)

Members online

Latest posts