Pop OS: weird booting error (desktop PC only)

Linux_Padawan

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and also new to using Linux. I used Ubuntu once in 2008 but back then it wasn't very user-friendly yet, so I only came back to Linux a couple of months ago because I am fed up with Windows and the crap Microsoft is trying to pull with their upgrade wall for Windows 11.

I decided on using Pop OS because it got good reviews and it looks nice. I like working with it and everything just works - except for the system booting routine on my desktop PC. I have several SSDs installed in my PC, one of which still contains a working Windows 10 version. Another SSD is for installing games and the last SSHD is for storing data.

I have to boot into Linux using the F8 key for choosing the bootable drive because the Windows boot manager always gets prioritized when it let the system boot up automatically. However, something doesn't seem to be working with Pop OS and desktop PCs because I suddenly got the "attempting to write outside of hd0" error, but whenever I restart the system and grub takes over, I can just click on Pop OS and it starts up fine (most of the time). Sometimes I even get a kernel panic error which I don't understand. The troubles seem to have started after doing an update via Pop Shop and since then, the system does not boot normally anymore. I always have to wait for grub to come up during the second try and then it works. Also, I don't have a recovery partition on my desktop PC, but my Laptop does have it and it runs perfectly. I don't have any errors when using the OS with my laptop. Only on the desktop it's kind of weird.

I installed Pop OS from a bootable USB drive and just clicked on the erase and install option, as I thought it would be the easiest and trouble-free one... Well....

Any help would be appreciated. Especially helping me understand how errors like this one occur in the first place and what could be done to avoid them in the future. I don't really want to reinstall the system again, as I have already installed the system twice (once with encryption, which caused a weird issue with the boot partition getting fuller and fuller, and then a second time without encryption, but now with the boot error issue). How can this be so hard? I did not fiddle around with commands or install dubious apps. I just used the system normally and update regularly via Pop Shop.

My PC:
LG Ultrawide Monitor (3440x1440)
AMD Ryzen 1600X (stock)
16 GB of 3200MhZ RAM
Asus Crosshair VI Hero Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 1080Ti
PNY Nvme drive (500GB)
Samsung SSD (500 GB)
Crucial MX500 SSD (500 GB -> Pop OS)
SSHD (1TB)

Pop is developed especially for system76 and their own made equipment, it may be Ubuntu based, but it doesn't contain all the drivers and codecs of Ubuntu or other popular distributions, if it works out of the box, great! if not, you can spend a lot of time and effort trying to get it to work

Pop is developed especially for system76 and their own made equipment, it may be Ubuntu based, but it doesn't contain all the drivers and codecs of Ubuntu or other popular distributions, if it works out of the box, great! if not, you can spend a lot of time and effort trying to get it to work
Hey, and thanks for the reply. Does that mean, I should probably switch the distro? Which could you recommend that works pretty well out of the box?

With over 500 distributions, the world is yours to choose, download six or seven [with different desktops] and try them "live" from the pen drive, I do not recommend as what is best for me or any other member may not be right for you,
I will suggest a few
Linux Mint [cinnamon desktop is the most favoured]
Kubuntu
Debian stable [with driver and codec pack]
MX-21
Peppermint -22
no doubt other members will chirp in with their favourites later

The boot issue might be related to if you have Secure boot on, I'm not sure if PopOS supports that. Try turning secure boot of in the BIOS/UEFI and see what happens.

The boot issue might be related to if you have Secure boot on, I'm not sure if PopOS supports that. Try turning secure boot of in the BIOS/UEFI and see what happens.
Thanks for the advice. I had already deactivated secure boot before. My motherboard apparently does not deactivate it as such, but instead offers the option "other OS" - meaning it's not Windows UEFI.
Another strange thing just happened while booting up the system: It started completely normally. Now I am even more confused than before... The "attempting to read or write outside of hd0" did not appear. But WHY? What could be the reason for it sometimes not booting up correctly?

Sounds like something may be corrupted

Are you completely powering down from Windows each time? If not, that might explain why it'd work some of the time and not others.

It isn't necessary to completely power down Windows. It's enough never to shutdown from it. Choose reboot instead, then turn it off when the Grub menu appears, or boot something.

Thanks for the advice. I had already deactivated secure boot before. My motherboard apparently does not deactivate it as such, but instead offers the option "other OS" - meaning it's not Windows UEFI.
Another strange thing just happened while booting up the system: It started completely normally. Now I am even more confused than before... The "attempting to read or write outside of hd0" did not appear. But WHY? What could be the reason for it sometimes not booting up correctly?
Another thing that I just thought that could giving you trouble is Windows Fast boot, try disabling.
Other than that I haven't dual-boot a years so I'm not much of a help there.
Maybe this video with help?

Another thing that I just thought that could giving you trouble is Windows Fast boot, try disabling.
Other than that I haven't dual-boot a years so I'm not much of a help there.
Maybe this video with help?
Thanks a lot for your help. I still have fast boot activated so I will try disabling that and see what happens. Today, I could not even get into the system using the grub menu but then I booted up one of those recovery menus via grub, repaired packages and after that the system started up normally again. Let's see if it stays that way. ^_^

Members online