Post a screenshot of your Desktop

Screenshot_2022-04-21_11-12-16.png

ive got the very beautiful default arch shell as my wifi is broken and cant install a de, therefor can also not really take a screenshot

edit: my spelling is awful

Maine-May 2022

A bit off-topic:

Maine is punching well above its weight with regards to this forum. For such a small population, we have at least three of us hailing from Maine.

You're also from Maine? That's Vrai, kc1di, you, and me. That's impressive. Go Maine, go!

For those unfamiliar with Maine, we've got a population (for the entire state) of like 1.2 million people. I can drive to the village, about 25 miles away, and not even see four people along the way.

and how did you get the VP9 callsign? :)

I've taken the practice exams and my first four years in college were actually as an EE with a minor in pure math. I'd switch my major to applied math after that. So, in the brain folds hides enough information to pass the tests with relative ease. Now, without the Morse Code requirements...

Basically, the above is a longer way of saying that I've considered joining you hams on the airwaves. It'd be a good skill (more importantly good to have the gear available) if SHTF. Though, if SHTF I'm not actually going to worry much about FCC regulations. They can come fine me after the zombies are all dead.

I do have a really nice scanner that lets me scan like the entire spectrum. I only use it for local stuff, however. I also have someone's tower in my barn. Yes, I realize that's an odd thing to say.

But, But, they are already dead, aren't they?:p

No, they're undead. I'm pretty sure... Don't make me dig out the Monster Manual.

Eastport.

I've been there. That's as 'downeast' as one can get, I suppose. I probably should have spent the night while I was there, just to see the sun rise. Unless you go out on one of the islands, that's gotta be one of the first places in the US to get the sun.

Eastern most City in the continental U.S.!

I can't help but chuckle at the 'city' part. I guess in Maine it's pretty urban, compared to many other areas around it. Google says there are ~1,400 people there - but on any given summer day you probably have at least that many tourists. I'm guessing it's a bit like the Rangeley area - where there's 1,000 people or so, but on a heavy-touristy weekend they'll have upwards of 10,000 people in the area.

As much as people complain about tourists, places like Rangeley would be in dire straits without their money. Ah well...

To keep it kinda on topic, here's the desktop background I use on this system:

97Vmf1.jpg

人不能吃的太饱~

@szlance - English, please.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

As a resident, I passed the code test, (1 minute of solid copy at 13 wpm) and the written test (not one bloody multiple guess question on it!) and got the restricted ticket. It took me less than 3 months to make the 500 CW contacts ( straight key only, because that is how I fly!) required to get the unrestricted ticket, and I had a ball doing it!:cool: The Drakes (T4XB - R4B), and a trapped vertical, Oh Yeah Baby!

P.S. I also hold the Advanced class ticket WA1WJB.:cool:

Happy Trails,
Paul

As a resident, I passed the code test, (1 minute of solid copy at 13 wpm) and the written test (not one bloody multiple guess question on it!) and got the restricted ticket. It took me less than 3 months to make the 500 CW contacts ( straight key only, because that is how I fly!) required to get the unrestricted ticket, and I had a ball doing it!:cool: The Drakes (T4XB - R4B), and a trapped vertical, Oh Yeah Baby!

P.S. I also hold the Advanced class ticket WA1WJB.:cool:

Happy Trails,
Paul
Sounds great I've operated from Japan and Okinawa back in the 1970's and used the drake twins a few times also. Great rigs.
I got my Novice License in 1966 and went on to get advanced and extra back when you had to do the code Which is all I'm on today. Just a few nets I check into. Mostly on 80 Meters. Lots of fun over the years. In Fact it was Ham Radio that first got me interested in Linux back in the 90's with Slackware.

Then there was the Eastport equivalent of the "Great Chicago Fire", which wiped out the entire waterfront.

Interesting. In the 40s there was a fire that wiped out the town where I have some blueberry fields.

Same for me!
Bye the way looked u up on qrz and saw the station Nice. Wish I had room for a setup like that now. Limited to a little rig qrp and indoor antenna at the moment. But , I'm on the air :)

Screenshot from 2022-05-07 16-00-55.png

I'll play. I keep a very clean, unassuming workspace. No icons on the desktop, because that leads to clutter, and I'm the type of person who gets disorganized easily. The background is just a stock image that came with LMDE. I barely use the taskbar, which is hidden most of the time anyway, because I use keybinding for my important apps.

Members online