Post Your Desktop!

H

Harikrishnan R

Hi everyone
I spent this weekend configuring my newly installed Xubuntu and customizing the UI. I guess most people don't use a desktop in here, but if you do I'd love to see your desktop. Please mention whatever tools you've used like widgets, clocks etc.
Here's mine:
2prz68z.png

It's Xubuntu 13.10 with Cairo-Dock and Conky (Gotham and Seamod). The wallpaper is a glider I found online :)

Last edited:

I have Ubuntu 13.10 (AMD64). On my desktop, I have Cairo-Dock. I used to have screenlets, but it crashed often. I use Wallch to change my wallpaper randomly. Sometimes, I have Wallch display a live image of Earth.

Devyns_Desktop.png

Well I have recently abandoned Arch, Slack because I got tired of using them. So I switched over to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. As you can see I don't like anything fancy. Unity is bleh Gnome 3 is bleh. Everything else beyond is bleh. So I'm just using good old gnome classic.

6hrd8E6.png

Well I have recently abandoned Arch, Slack because I got tired of using them. So I switched over to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. As you can see I don't like anything fancy. Unity is bleh Gnome 3 is bleh. Everything else beyond is bleh. So I'm just using good old gnome classic.
Good old gnome :)
Try xfce. I'm a gnome 2 fan too. Xfce is gnome-2-ish.

My desktop is really boring.

26cd6db4f13cec6ba3b3f2778d93f243.png

Linux Mint 13 (MATE). I keep it clean and functional.

Here's mine. Fedora 20 and Cinnamon with a couple Conky's . The background is from CentOS.
Screenshot-desktop.png

Here is mine.
Screenshot from 2013-12-13 21:46:56.png

BTW, running LinuxMint 16 with cario-dock and a few extras

Last edited:
Cairo-dock! Some people love it, others (like me) despise it. The beauty of choice.:D

This is my "mobile" setup for my laptop when it's away from the desk. I'm diggin' the simplicity and speed of #!

3okm.png

Last edited:
Ubuntu minimal running openbox with a custom lxpanel. Wallpaper made in gimp...
ySuvAxR.jpg

Last edited:
Let me show you my latest desktop build:

f89af91f43def3f8124e7a8cbb3c079e.png

Surprised?

My wife's old XP machine finally died. Thankfully!

The case and power supply (420 W) are in awesome shape. They should be. It was a replacement case that we used to transplant the guts out of the old case a number of years ago.

Got the case, got the power supply. I already had 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive setting around in surplus. So all I needed was:

* GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S1 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - About $40 after mail-in rebate.
* Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics - $68
* SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA - $20

The most expensive part of the build...

You guessed it!

* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM - $100

Why? Because I could. And because sometimes we still need a Windows machine for work to run certain software that will not run on Linux, in WINE, or in VirtualBox.

But in my defense, I went the cheapest, best route I could find.

And just to appease Richard Stallman who would stand before an audience and ask, "Show of hands, please. How many of you have pirated software on your computers?" I have none. Every software package is either OEM or legitimately licensed to me.

To keep score: I have six Linux machines to one Windows 7 (and it is 7) computer. I'm not one of those Microsoft haters (nor am I a fan), and I'm certainly not one of the snobby Linux elitists who insist that you call it "GNU/Linux."

Last edited:
Why not post some more of your 6 linux desktops on linux.org instead of your single w7 build? Just asking...

I rather not question your immaculate integrity, but paying $100 for windows... I'd be better off buying some piece of high-end hardware. But, hey, everyone has their software needs :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts