Postfix stopped sending mails out of nowhere

UWRP

Reaction score
Credits
Last night we installed it and it worked fine. Today, it stopped working with these notices:
x2.privateemail.com[198.54.122.215]:25: Connection timed out)

Is this a problem with our server or has our ip been blocked or something?
How can this be solved?

When I connect to that hostname I get a timeout like you do, however the ip is different when I resolve it.
Code:
telnet x2.privateemail.com 25
Trying 198.54.117.245...
telnet: connect to address 198.54.117.245: Connection timed out
When I connect on the ip I am able to connect.
Code:
telnet 198.54.122.215 25
Trying 198.54.122.215...
Connected to 198.54.122.215.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 oxse3.privateemail.com ESMTP Exim 20200901.1020 Wed, 09 Sep 2020 11:09:13 -0700

Have they maybe blocked port 25 ? It's strange that it worked the day before. We can't get any email out. Not with smtp gmail (php mailer) either

Have they maybe blocked port 25 ? It's strange that it worked the day before. We can't get any email out. Not with smtp gmail (php mailer) either
Is the host name correct which you mentioned, x2.privateemail.com? What is the the domain name of where you are trying to send mail to?

This ip is for outgoing mail. It's the domain name provider's host name. And yes, it's correct.

This ip is for outgoing mail. It's the domain name provider's host name. And yes, it's correct.
So x2.privateemail.com is the host your mailserver delivers all it's mail to which should then send the mails to their final destinations. Am I understanding that correctly?

That's correct.
Is your mailserver able to access the internet or is it in a private range or firewalled from accessing the internet?

Not sure if I understood you correctly. We only use the mail server for sending mails through a webserver. Like activation mails, forgot password etc.

We have an inbox thing similar to outlook, hotmail etc over here: www.privateemail.com/
This is provided by the domain name provider.

Can you try accessing a gmail mailserver from your mailserver.
Code:
telnet gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
What happens when you do this?

This is the output I'm getting:
Code:
Trying 2a00:1450:4013:c01::1a...
Connected to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP e26si2253129edc.216 - gsmtp

Since you are able to connect to the gmail mailserver you have internet access, which means you are able to connect to other mailservers on the internet. Since I am getting a timeout on x2.privateemail.com and you are also. I would contact privateemail.com support because I don't know if port 25 should be accessible for all or if they use a white or blacklist but in short it's not a problem on your end.

I have contacted them like 5 times already regarding this query and they either have incompetent support employees or just do not want to help us. We are considering switching domain providers.

I have contacted them like 5 times already regarding this query and they either have incompetent support employees or just do not want to help us. We are considering switching domain providers.
Do they have any documentation about which mailhosts are available for sending mail to or did they give you any other information about what to use in your mailserver configuration?

I asked if they do block the port and some other stuff I can't exactly remember but I don't think they understood me. All they kept saying was that I had to use privatemail.com webinterface to send mails.
When I asked for any documentation or guide I didn't get an answer either.

I asked if they do block the port and some other stuff I can't exactly remember but I don't think they understood me. All they kept saying was that I had to use privatemail.com webinterface to send mails.
When I asked for any documentation or guide I didn't get an answer either.
Just looking at their website it looks more like all they offer is a webmail service and expect you to use your mail client or their webmail service to send and receive mail. What you need is a smart/relayhost for what you are trying to do. Where did you get the information from that you should use x2.privateemail.com?

It automatically goes for that hostname. We didn't set it up to use that specifically.

It automatically goes for that hostname. We didn't set it up to use that specifically.
What does your postfix configuration look like?

You would probably be better of using a smart/relay host as it sounds like you are using a service which isn't meant for what you are trying to use it for.

Members online