Potential Compatibility Issues?

Wilheim

Reaction score
Credits
Hey y'all,

I'm in the process of selecting parts for a new prosumer style video editing workstation build, so I'm just wanting to check if there would be any compatibility issues on the software side of things since I'm relatively new to working in the Linux space. Going to be using the latest stable build of Ubuntu for the OS.

The build:
MB: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
RAM: 16GB DDR4
SSD: WD Blue SN550 1TB
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro W5500

I suppose my main concern is the GPU, since I've heard AMD GPU's don't work especially well in Linux, and I don't know if this is true or just a rumor. Not sure if this is a driver(s) issue or an architecture one. The target software to run is Lightworks, along with KIT Scenarist. Asked there about GPU compatibility and they just quoted the Quadro K5200 as the latest approved card.

Another thing of note is that of future storage plans. I'm considering a PCIe storage option with the Asus Hyper M.2 X16 GEN 4 card with 8TB of M.2 storage. I think it's technically an internal RAID? Would this option have any potential issues as well?

AMD has opensource drivers which are part of the kernel so any Radeon card should work out of the box, it's usually nvidia drivers that have problems with Linux although I've never experienced problems with Nvidia cards myself on Linux. The rest of your setup shouldn't be a problem but if it makes you feel better you can lookup your parts on linux-hardware.org, I have never heard of Lightworks and KIT Scenarist so I have no idea if that runs on Linux.

I have never heard of Lightworks and KIT Scenarist so I have no idea if that runs on Linux.
Seems they both have Linux support but, no idea because this is the first time I'm hearing of this software.

Staff online

Members online