Power out of a windows laptop.

DexTheDog

Reaction score
Credits
So I have been trying to get my rpi backup and running and was having it fail to boot. Turns out the problem is that it was trying to boot off of my windows laptop which I was using for power do you know if there is a way to disable usb-c boot on a raspberry pi. I think that changing the boot loader to SD priority will fix it but then I will have to boot from a SD card.The best fix I think is to write linux to my laptop which I plan to do. Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks is advance.

From the command line issue the command sudo raspi-config.
This will start the software config tool.
Select the advanced options.
Option A6 is the boot order.
Option B1 is "Sd card boot if available, otherwise boot from USB"

The changes will take effect at the next boot.
This is for the pi 4B.

Good luck, mate!:)
Paul

Last edited:
From the command line issue the command sudo raspi-config.
This will start the software config tool.
Select the advanced options.
Option A6 is the boot order.
Option B1 is "Sd card boot if available, otherwise boot from USB"

The changes will take effect at the next boot.
This is for the pi 4B.

Good luck, mate!:)
Paul
Dex,
You know, I was looking at your problem further, and I decided to try a little experiment. I downloaded the 64 bit version of the pi operating system, and installed it on a spare 30gb 2.5 inch ide drive which I had floating around on my work bench. Then I removed the sim card from my Pi4b, plugged the drive into one of the USB2 ports using an ide to usb adapter, and applied power. It booted up from the usb hard drive with no modifications to the boot order. This means, to me, that your problem may be that the pi is detecting a bootable drive on your laptop via the usb, but it cannot boot the operating system it finds. Try using another way of powering the pi, and it might work normally. This is just a theory, based on my experiment, but it seems valid to me.:D

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts