Pressing 'a' will sometimes act like pressing 'tab' and/or 'enter' in Firefox text box

origamisith

Reaction score
Credits
I'm not sure whether this is a Firefox thing or a WM thing (I use i3), but oftentimes if I press 'a' in certain Firefox text boxes, it will tab to a different element or finish what the textbox was doing. For example, in the browser version of Discord, when I perform a GIF search, if I try to search for "giraffe" it will find and send the first gif it finds with "gir". On a typing practice website, sometimes pressing 'a' will somehow tab to the "restart" button and hit "enter" on it so that I lose all my progress in the typing exercise. Sometimes, I can avoid this by waiting a few seconds after the textbox has loaded; other times, it will malfunction regardless of wait time. Not all text boxes act this way. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I'm not sure whether this is a Firefox thing or a WM thing (I use i3), but oftentimes if I press 'a' in certain Firefox text boxes, it will tab to a different element or finish what the textbox was doing.
Well, according to this https://i3wm.org/docs/refcard.html the a seems to be associated to focus parent action, not sure since I don't use i3 but... there's that. Read that info and see if it applies to your case and is indeed what's causing you trouble.

Cool find! However, disabling the mod+a keybinding doesn't change the problem. Also, it works without the mod key

Cool find! However, disabling the mod+a keybinding doesn't change the problem. Also, it works without the mod key
Well, it was worth a try, like I said I don't use i3 and haven't used it in a long while... I do have the archbang.iso with i3 around and plan to install it in a VM but haven't yet so... By the way, which distro is this again?

I'm using Arch as well. Pretty fun distro except for the occasional weird bug.

Staff online

Members online