Preventing or Stopping CPU Freezing in Linux

Castle Robin

Reaction score
Credits
Is it my MSI laptop which is causing CPU Freezing in Linux?

Some solutions, include Ctrl + Fn + F2 then Ctrl + Fn + F7, or Ctrl + Alt + Back Space key, but sometimes none of these options work.

What’s causing initial appearances of the Screen Resolution window to appear once or more?’

Last edited:

Castle Robin wrote:
CPU Freezing in Linux
What do the logs say, especially around the moments of freeze?
It could be a hardware or software issue. The cpu could be overheating, so you could check the temperatures. The computer may be running out of processing power for the work that is being asked of it to do, such as too many heavy applications running. You could consider upgrading the operating system, but it's probably better to check out the causes of freeze as much as possible in the first instance.

I would also say hardware or software problems...more likely RAM...Power supply...too many applications running at once because of lack of RAM...HDD problems...Dust or maybe a Graphics problem.
confused0006.gif

Last edited:
Has this only just started to occur?....give us some history please.

How long has Linux been installed?....Linux Mint?...or other ?

What do the logs say, especially around the moments of freeze? question from @osprey is particularly pertininent

Does this happen with a particular browser happen?

Anything else that stands out?......

Screen resolution window?....similar to below ??

1662948692582.png

I would say that in order to narrow down the possibilities we would need much more information. Which Distro. and much more hardware info. Try in a terminal this command and post the results here.
Code:
inxi -Fxxxzr
Also does it happen when you are doing any specific task?

Castle Robin wrote:

What do the logs say, especially around the moments of freeze?
It could be a hardware or software issue. The cpu could be overheating, so you could check the temperatures. The computer may be running out of processing power for the work that is being asked of it to do, such as too many heavy applications running. You could consider upgrading the operating system, but it's probably better to check out the causes of freeze as much as possible in the first instance.
No logs appear when this happens as I can't move the cursor and the fan spins very rapidly during those moments.

The laptop has a battery, but as it's second hand, the battery doesn't always work and is prone to running down quickly, so I have to mainly run it powered from the wall socket.

How do I check the temperatures of a laptop in MX Linux?

I would also say hardware or software problems...more likely RAM...Power supply...too many applications running at once because of lack of RAM...HDD problems...Dust or maybe a Graphics problem.
confused0006.gif
I sometimes have too many tabs open in Firefox, but will keep the numbers down if this helps reduce or eliminate the issues.

I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Has this only just started to occur?....give us some history please.

How long has Linux been installed?....Linux Mint?...or other ?

What do the logs say, especially around the moments of freeze? question from @osprey is particularly pertininent

Does this happen with a particular browser happen?

Anything else that stands out?......

Screen resolution window?....similar to below ??

View attachment 13503
It began within the past four to six weeks, so quite recently.

I installed MX Linux 21 Wildflower, XFCE version on 21 October 2021 onto a USB stick, which I'm currently running Linux from. I'll eventually use Linux only asap.

No logs appear as of yet, as when the problems persist, the freezing stops the cursor from moving, but what I have noticed is that Screen Resolution windows, just 1 or 2, sometimes 5, intermittently appear.

I currently only use Firefox, but will keep in mind other browsers once I switch to Linux completely, to install it on my hard drive, or when I buy a replacement laptop which will probably prevent these technical issues, which, from what a few of you have said, looks very likely to be caused by the laptop.

I would say that in order to narrow down the possibilities we would need much more information. Which Distro. and much more hardware info. Try in a terminal this command and post the results here.
Code:
inxi -Fxxxzr
Also does it happen when you are doing any specific task?
I've tried two different Terminal codes, but when I try to save them, I can't attach them here for some reason.

As far as I know, it doesn't happen when I do a specific task.

Here's a rundown of actions I have used from my notes on freezes from some years past:
- check memory with memtest86+, usually from a live disk.
- add "nomodeset" to the kernel boot line to see if it makes a difference.
- dump the process list to a file each minute to see what's hogging resources. This can be done with a script or using the commands from the sysstat package.
- check temperatures with "sensors" from lm-sensors (see KGill's post #10 above).
- do a BIOS update if one's available.
- set the cpu to a different powerstate with cpufrequtils tools ... usually set the cpu governor to "performance" to stop the system going into some lower power usage which may be the problem.
- run the machine in text mode to monitor freezing. If possible, remove the graphics card altogether and ssh into the machine.
- fsck the filesystems, each partition.
- dump the last 100 lines of dmesg output every second or so into a log for inspection.
- in the BIOS change Power Supply Idle Control to "Typical Current Idle" if these items exist.

These are software approaches. If there are hardware problems like solder deterioration, moisture intrusions, disturbed connections, then these software proposals won't apply.

It might be you need more RAM...if you want to post the output of the Terminal...highlight and copy and paste in to your post.
m1212.gif

I've tried two different Terminal codes, but when I try to save them, I can't attach them here for some reason.
After the code has had 'enter' clicked on....and has produced a result......then click on Edit (at the top of the terminal screen) and then click on 'Select All'.......then click on edit again, and click on Copy.

Then Paste in to your next post.

Then Paste in to your next post.

and when you do that, David, try to enclose the output in the codes method. Second lot of 3 vertical dots on your reply pane toolbar (cursor shows smart tip of Code), click on that and paste

3pnkThx.png

Wiz

Members online