cd /home/cc/Desktop

//then ls --color

it should show you contents of desktop

Morning Cap,
Here's the results of the above.

Screenshot at 2020-04-15 09-04-08.png

@captain-sensible
Disregard last post.
Must be too early for my brain. Here's the proper screenie.

2.png

charlie time to tease a little more information out of you :)

1. did you actually see v3.20.3 as a part of the updates you were installing, or do you understandably assume it was there?

2. do you have an icon on your desktop, maybe in panel or system tray, for HP?

3. do have Synaptic Package Manager available to you?

what i think has happened is this, more or less.

the HP stuff includes its own automatic updater. v3.20.3 is still hanging around HPs Developer Portal.

your output from apt-cache policy and apt show indicates you have

3.17.10+repack0-5

installed, and i have checked on a live tricia mate stick and it shows that 3.17etc was the version it installed with, there have been no updates since (through the mint repos)

if you can confirm on the above questions, we can go from there, and jg @jglen490 as a fellow HPer to you might say whether i am crazy.

cheers

wiz

BTW andy

no, apt-cache policy or apt show is the go, as i explained.

and also nope

sorry, 2 strikes :)

can't install debs using apt

gdebi can be used, or its GUI gdebi-gtk (from FM)

or else

Code:
sudo dpkg -i /path/to/name_of/package

cheers all
can you clarify the line deb install .deb in post https://linux.org/threads/printer-problem.28514/post-89155 11 down in commands please ?

ok so now you are fidning your way around using terminal TC ! soon you will be ✈

no, he's talking about me, charlie :)

and andy, you've got me in one - the apt command has an option

deb

that apt-get does not have.

so the methods from terminal can be

Code:
sudo apt deb <name-of-deb>

or

sudo dpkg -i <name-of-deb>

egg on wizard's face :D

Avagudweegend

Chris there is no egg on your face because no one out there can keep up with ICT which continuously changes and that is the frightening thing to me. There is some comfort with long release cycle of slackware in that you get the chance over 2-3 years to use and understand things before they change it
The question was for my benefit- was i seeing things or didn't understand it

Back to printers TC it looks like you have open office , when you fire up the program there should be a drop down giving font choices. See my screen shot for LibreOffice. On my system LibreOffice has basically access to all fonts in /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/fonts/OTF what choices do you have , because i could only see one ttf unless its a pack of fonts ?

Also because i can't code using libreoffice i have geany and medit . What other text editors do you have , and does printing using them with them make any difference ?

Attachments

• libreoffice.jpg
    libreoffice.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 393
@captain-sensible
I don't know anything about what's there.
OG
I quick tangent off topic. You know Amazon keeps things on shelves and they get picked as needed ? well via the internet your PC and package manager keeps in touch with a type of Amazon warehouse that keeps packages of software - a "repository" . When you install via synaptic it goes to the warehouse and if someone put a newer version of software there , you have the chance to install it. But if you know how to access online repos yourself and manually search around and find software for your PC in the form of a .deb package, well you can also install that software manually using the commands in the list.

Chris there is no egg on your face because no one out there can keep up with ICT which continuously changes and that is the frightening thing to me. There is some comfort with long release cycle of slackware in that you get the chance over 2-3 years to use and understand things before they change it
The question was for my benefit- was i seeing things or didn't understand it

Back to printers TC it looks like you have open office , when you fire up the program there should be a drop down giving font choices. See my screen shot for LibreOffice. On my system LibreOffice has basically access to all fonts in /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/fonts/OTF what choices do you have , because i could only see one ttf unless its a pack of fonts ?

Also because i can't code using libreoffice i have geany and medit . What other text editors do you have , and does printing using them with them make any difference ?

Hi Cap,
I have lots of different fonts I can use in my LibreOffice. Here's a screenie of mine. I've tried changing fonts but that did not change anything.

Screenshot at 2020-04-17 08-32-14.png

I don't see any name for the text editor I use. It came with LM 19.3. I tried Geany but that is more complicated than this little one I have.

Text Editor.png

I tried printing this from the text editor. Did not work; same problem.
OG

OK a bit more teasing out, charlie :)

in your OP, you said

Old driver was 3.15.7
New one is 3.20.3

now since then we've established that 3.15.7 is on board, so what was it that let you know 3.20.3 might be being updated over it??

cheers

wiz

OK a bit more teasing out, charlie :)

in your OP, you said

now since then we've established that 3.15.7 is on board, so what was it that let you know 3.20.3 might be being updated over it??

cheers

wiz

@wizardfromoz

Wiz,
I went back through that post and I really don't know where I got that 3.20.3 from. I'm as confused as you are about it.

@wizardfromoz @captain-sensible @jglen490

I found out where I got the 3.20.3 from. It was from my original HPLIP download via the package manager. The 3.17.10 came with the HPLIP GUI install.
Screenshot at 2020-04-19 13-39-48.png

Not to worry any further on this topic though. Problem solved.
I wiped the computer and did a fresh install of LM 19.3 OS and the printer now works fine.
Thanks guys for all your efforts.
OG

Members online