Printer Problems

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
Disclaimer: not sure if this is in the right place, please feel free to move if necessary.

I have an Epson NX420 printer that I finally got hooked up to my Compaq PC. I was able to get the printer running, but I have changed the ink cartridges and cannot get them aligned. These are not the name brand cartridges, which doesn't help the situation. Anyway, the MINT printer wizard has nothing in there about aligning the cartridges. I used to use a great little app that "talked" to the printer but of course that was Windows based. I have 2 questions:

1. Does the WINE app allow you use Windows based apps on the Linux OS?
2. If not, is there a work-around?

It did appear on the Linux printer wizard that if I knew what I was doing I could make the adjustments to the printer ink head manually, but I really don't want to try that. Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing, and I could probably figure it out, but how much ink will I waste in the mean time?

Thanks again, guys.

Sue

WINE does allow you to use Windows apps on a Linux computer. However, there are many apps that won't work with WINE. It won't hurt to try. Also, you may want to see if Epson has an app that supports Linux. Even though they may not think there's a big market for Linux desktops, they know there's a large market for Linux print servers. So give it a look.

I will, thanks.

Granny Sue

Disclaimer: not sure if this is in the right place, please feel free to move if necessary.

I have an Epson NX420 printer that I finally got hooked up to my Compaq PC. I was able to get the printer running, but I have changed the ink cartridges and cannot get them aligned. These are not the name brand cartridges, which doesn't help the situation. Anyway, the MINT printer wizard has nothing in there about aligning the cartridges. I used to use a great little app that "talked" to the printer but of course that was Windows based. I have 2 questions:

1. Does the WINE app allow you use Windows based apps on the Linux OS?
2. If not, is there a work-around?

It did appear on the Linux printer wizard that if I knew what I was doing I could make the adjustments to the printer ink head manually, but I really don't want to try that. Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing, and I could probably figure it out, but how much ink will I waste in the mean time?

Thanks again, guys.

Sue
A few things to consider:
1) Perhaps from the "Control Panel" on the printer itself you could access the "Alignment" function?

2) The driver at https://www.openprinting.org/drivers may be of some use?

3) Perhaps one of these Epson drivers found at
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/?OSC=LX
may work? Use the search box to find your model.

Thanks for those suggestions, Vrai, I'll take a look at them.

I have done several things and don't seem to be having any luck. I installed WINE, then wound up installing WINEHQ because without HQ WINE had nothing. tried installing the Epson app from the google play store but it only would list my tablets as a device to install to, not this PC.

I did some other things I can't remember. Then I found Mtink which appeared to be exactly what I was looking for. However, received an error msg after installing it and I really have no idea what it means or how to address it.

Can someone please look at the screenshot and help me out? Thanks so much.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-01-16 20-39-05.png
    Screenshot at 2020-01-16 20-39-05.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 553
Hi Sue, first up, go to Terminal and type in and enter

Code:
groups

You'll receive output of maybe 6 - 8 categories, which might include
  • susan
  • adm and
  • sudo
if there is no lp (like long playing record) there, take a read of this

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemGroups

and we'll take a look at using a command called

Code:
adduser

to add you to the lp group and then you can try again.

I know nothing of Mtink, so I am flying by the seat of my pants for certainly not the first time, and likely not the last time. ;)

Wiz

Okay, I didn't read every word, but I covered the points you made above. Shall we give it a go?

is the issue mainly about "alignment" . On my printer when cartridges are chnaged it automatically prints out a sheet of paper to help alignment. All i do is put that face down on glass hit one of the colour copy button and printer adjusts itself without going into Computer /Printer Cups or other GUI

is the issue mainly about "alignment" . On my printer when cartridges are chnaged it automatically prints out a sheet of paper to help alignment. All i do is put that face down on glass hit one of the colour copy button and printer adjusts itself without going into Computer /Printer Cups or other GUI
Wow! I hope it will be that easy with mine, I've not heard of that before. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

mines a HP its cheap and because of HPLIP package almost all HP printers are universally compatible with linux

Attachments

• AlignmentPage.jpg
    AlignmentPage.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 599
I have an old Epson that works fine and seems to work well Linux also. I just can't bring myself to even thnk about getting a new printer if this works ok.

Well, it doesn't work with my Epson. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

OK, first up, please give us the output of

Code:
groups

I want to see if you have adm (admin), if not, we'll add it. And tell us your username, is it susan?

My bad above, instead of "adduser" (unnecessary, you are already registered as one), we will be using

Code:
groupadd

# and

usermod

Wiz

OK, first up, please give us the output of

Code:
groups

I want to see if you have adm (admin), if not, we'll add it. And tell us your username, is it susan?

My bad above, instead of "adduser" (unnecessary, you are already registered as one), we will be using

Code:
groupadd

# and

usermod

Wiz

Yes, Susan is my name on this computer. I tried adding all 3 commands at once but that didn't work, and if I use the return key after the 1st command line it just automatically does it.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-01-18 11-15-51.png
    Screenshot at 2020-01-18 11-15-51.png
    123.8 KB · Views: 587
Haha, you're getting ahead of me, girl :)

I said we'd use those commands, but you need the right syntax.

If this is all that is needed, and I don't know for sure, then we need to create a group lp (l for lima, p for papa), and add you to it. My comments with hash #

Code:
sudo groupadd lp

# followed by

sudo usermod -a -G lp susan

You can reboot if you wish, then invoke the groups command to see that lp has been added, and if so, try your mtinks again and see what it says.

If it still says

"Please be sure that mtink has enough right for accessing the device files.", we'll have to delve further.

See how you go.

Wizard

Well, I think it works, but I don't know what it's asking for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2020-01-18 18-42-03.png
    Screenshot at 2020-01-18 18-42-03.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 592
I have an Epson NX420 printer that I finally got hooked up to my Compaq PC. I was able to get the printer running, but I have changed the ink cartridges and cannot get them aligned.

Hello Sue. Perhaps installing the following Linux Mint package, escputil, on your Linux Mint machine would help: https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/escputil

The package is described as follows: "Escputil is a utility to clean and align the heads of Epson Stylus printers. It can also check the current ink levels in the printer."

Hello Sue. Linux Mint has a package called escputil. It is described as follows: "Escputil is a utility to clean and align the heads of Epson Stylus printers. It can also check the current ink levels in the printer." Perhaps installng it on your Linux Mint box would help solve the problem you have.

Thanks, Mark, I'll give it a whirl. :)

Latest posts