Printer Program Keeps Freezing

D

Deleted member 111282

I occasionally have issues with getting the printer in my room to connect to my computer properly, so just now, I was trying to download a new driver in hopes the problem would finally be resolved. Unfortunately, now I have another problem where the printer program in the start menu freezes and becomes unresponsive whenever I click on "change" where it says "make and model". This happens every time I do that, and makes resolving this issue next to impossible.

Printer make and model? Printer software? Where did you get the "new driver" and how did you install it? Some system details might be helpful too in order to be able to offer some advice.

@Tolkem

My apologies. I'm using an HP 3830 printer. I was going to use CUPS in order to install the new driver, but I never got a chance to remotely download it from HP's website, or install it, because that "change driver" page (for lack of a better term) kept freezing.

Is this https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...l-in-one-printer-series/7172321/model/7172322 your printer? Is this the printing driver https://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/hplip/hplip/3.21.2/hplip-3.21.2.run ? Try downloading it using that link, I just did to take a look at it
Code:
./hplip-3.21.2.run --help
Makeself version 2.1.5
1) Getting help or info about ./hplip-3.21.2.run :
./hplip-3.21.2.run --help Print this message
./hplip-3.21.2.run --info Print embedded info : title, default target directory, embedded script ...
./hplip-3.21.2.run --lsm Print embedded lsm entry (or no LSM)
./hplip-3.21.2.run --list Print the list of files in the archive
./hplip-3.21.2.run --check Checks integrity of the archive

2) Running ./hplip-3.21.2.run :
./hplip-3.21.2.run [options] [--] [additional arguments to embedded script]
with following options (in that order)
--confirm Ask before running embedded script
--noexec Do not run embedded script
--keep Do not erase target directory after running
the embedded script
--nox11 Do not spawn an xterm
--nochown Do not give the extracted files to the current user
--target NewDirectory Extract in NewDirectory
--tar arg1 [arg2 ...] Access the contents of the archive through the tar command
-- Following arguments will be passed to the embedded script

It looks fine as far as I can tell, once you download it, check the file
Code:
./hplip-3.21.2.run --check
You should get
Code:
Verifying archive integrity... MD5 checksums are OK. All good.
Then just follow install instructions from here https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/install/install/index

@Tolkem

When I checked the file after downloading it, I got an error message saying
Code:
./hplip-3.21.2.run: No such file or directory

@SpongebobFan1994 Open your file manager and navigate to the location where you downloaded the file, right-click in a blank space within that dir, and from the context menu select open terminal here, then run the command
Code:
/hplip-3.21.2.run --check
It should work this time.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts