printer

Farmer in the Dell

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to link my laptop with my printer. Ubuntu server. HP laptop. Canon printer. I'm a beginner and new to Linux. Help!

Gday and Welcome to Linux.org

Details please

make and model of laptop and printer

What have you already tried ?

Is this this a new connection or did it work previously and then stop working ?

Tell us the story

New laptop HP EliteBook. Ubuntu is my...server or O/S? Printer is an old but good Canon MX432 Pixma. Canon themselves can't help me link up due to the fact that I don't have the correct driver. I went to Ubuntu but couldn't understand the directions. I'm not terribly good with the technical terms. My son set this laptop up with Ubuntu and he's sick in the hospital now so I don't want to go to him at this time but I'm having withdrawal at not being able to print!!
Previously I had Windows 8 on an old Acer laptop and it linked perfectly with the Canon printer. Acer died so I had to replace him.

Anything else you need to know, ask and I'll be glad to answer!
Thanks

G'day @Farmer in the Dell and welcome to linux.org from another Aussie :)

To assist Brian @Condobloke further, are you able to tell us the version number and Desktop Environment of your Ubuntu? It's your OS.

* If not, press Ctrl-Alt-t to open Terminal and give us the output of the following command

Code:
inxi -S

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

edited - *see Post to follow

Last edited:
On further thought, you may not have inxi installed as yet, and you could use a small piece of software called GDebi for installing software packages from the desktop environment.

So FIRST in Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install inxi gdebi

and enter your password and follow the prompts.

THEN type and enter

Code:
inxi -S

and provide us the output.

Cheers

Wizard

ubuntu is your OS

Try HERE

On further thought, the website there says....
There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver......

So open menu, and type in printer....click on printer.....follow the prompts from there (hopefully!)

Last edited:
G'day @Farmer in the Dell and welcome to linux.org from another Aussie :)

To assist Brian @Condobloke further, are you able to tell us the version number and Desktop Environment of your Ubuntu? It's your OS.

* If not, press Ctrl-Alt-t to open Terminal and give us the output of the following command

Code:
inxi -S

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

edited - *see Post to follow
OK, I did the inxi thing and whoa! a bunch of stuff came up as well as this: pam@pam-HP-EliteBook-840-G1. Is this what you need?

On further thought, you may not have inxi installed as yet, and you could use a small piece of software called GDebi for installing software packages from the desktop environment.

So FIRST in Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get install inxi gdebi

and enter your password and follow the prompts.

THEN type and enter

Code:
inxi -S

and provide us the output.

Cheers

Wizard
Here's what finally showed up: HOST: pam-HP-EliteBook-840-G1
KERNEL: 5.8.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64
DESKTOP:Gnome3.36.4
DISTRO: uBUNTU 20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa)
pam@pam-HP-EliteBook-840-G1: little squiggly line $

Now what?

Have you followed the instructions Brian @Condobloke at #6 yet and what was the outcome?

Wiz

yes, I did. Going to printer just brought up "Canon doesn't recognize Ubuntu". Then I think I installed inxi and got the above info--as per msg Satuday 3:13p.m. I think that result went to you. But even though there's an icon for the printer, nothing happens when I ask it to print. and nothing in the print que.

Members online