Problem connecting to a specific WIFI connection (SOLVED)

Linuxembourg

Reaction score
Credits
I was at my friends house yesterday and I had a strange issue where I couldn't connect to his WIFI. I am unsure how to research the problem. Back home, I am able to connect again.

It didn't connect at all yesterday at my friends. It just said "connection lost" when I tried to connect. I know the laptop connects to his wifi, as I used it previously when it ran Windows 10. I now run Lubuntu per my signature.

My friend has a Fritz-Box. Obviously his wifi was working, on my phone, his families devices, the TV, some cooking device, etc! I tried to change the settings on my connection, to custom DNS, fully automatic, etc.

I don't really know where to start. When I search all I find is advice for general WIFI problems.

If it worked in W10 and you have since changed the operating system [unless he has an open system...not recommended] you will have to reconnect to his router using HIS router password

BWiz

@brickwizard My point about it working in W10 was merely to say that the wifi adapter connects to the router. I know how to connect to a WIFI network and am not stupid enough to expect network settings to remain after formatting a hard drive and installing a new OS.

if you got no connection which i am assuming from "I couldn't connect to his WIFI" do you know if the friend has "mac address filtering " set up on the router?

if you got no connection which i am assuming from "I couldn't connect to his WIFI" do you know if the friend has "mac address filtering " set up on the router?

Yeah, if it's clear, it wasn't like it showed connected but I got no internet. I just couldn't connect to the eh...connection.

Re 'mac address filtering' almost definitely not unless it's setup by default. And as I say, I previously connected using the same laptop so if he did have it setup, it wouldn't have worked on Windows unless I was somehow spoofing my MAC id without knowing.

Not sure if it helps, but by default the network connection was setup (on my laptop) in IPV4/6 settings as "shared to other computers" rather than the more usual "automatic DHCP". Obviously I fiddled around with that, but to no avail.

if you dual boot the router will notice the difference.
think of it that router trades keys with the OS [win10]
and stores 20 keys.
when you boot to Linux on same device, the router still looks for those 20 keys.
you'll have to wait for router to give up trying those keys.

have the router admin setup a guest WiFi if it is able, connect to that; note you wont be able to connect to other LAN users

@galen
I am not dual booting, and I connected to his router using Windows over a month ago. Would the router store those keys in perpetuity?

it might, routers can be strange, admin the router and delete the assigned IP# for your computer

if you did a clean install of Linux it would have eraised everything from your windows files and you will need to log onto his router again. his router will not recognise it as the same machine..

it might, routers can be strange, admin the router and delete the assigned IP# for your computer

Ok, i'll need to do that next time I am at his house. Probably on one of the next couple of weekends. Strange stuff.

if you did a clean install of Linux it would have eraised everything from your windows files and you will need to log onto his router again. his router will not recognise it as the same machine..

Yeah I know. I didn't just sit around at his house all day on Saturday waiting for it to automatically connect.

Have you tried power cycling the router - unplug it for several seconds then plug it back in

I have solved the issue. Rather embarrassingly it was due to the fact I was keying the incorrect password. I realised when I tried to log in to his router and I again misread the start of the long number that is his password.

It seems I have a thing in my brain that wants "3354" to become "3345"

Members online

Latest posts