Problem installing Linux on new PC

M

Muhammad Khairani

Hi all,

I have a problem that I hope any of the tech gurus here can help me out with.

I bought a new MoBo and CPU to build a system intending to use it as a HTPC. I wanted to use Ubuntu or LinuxMint as the OS so that I can also use the rig for learning about coding and generally tweak with Linux.

The specs of my system is:

CPU - AMD A6 5400k 3.6GHz.
MoBo - MSI FM2-A55M-E33
RAM - 8GB
HDD - WD Green 2TB

Initially I installed the OpenELEC OS and everything worked out fine but I realised that it meant the system will be used solely as HTPC. So I then decided to reformat the system and tried booting it with Ubuntu and Linux.

Here is what happened:

With Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) - I managed to boot it from my Live Boot USB Stick. But everything was lagging and when I tried to install it into my HDD, it could not load up.

With Ubuntu 14.04 - I cannot even get past the stage of installation initially. I had to reformat my USB Stick a few times before I managed to install the OS onto my HDD. Now, with the system in my HDD, it seems that every time I try booting up the system, it will go to the initial Ubuntu screen before it turns blank and then my whole PC will restart by itself.

On top of that, when the system reboots by itself, it will alternately recognize/not recognize my keyboard and mouse. i.e. I start the system it will recognize, then it will auto reboot and not recognize, then reboot again and recognize.

Apart from the RAM, all the other components of the system is brand new including the PSU. So please can anyone tell me why is it that I cannot get linux to work on my system. I have an old netbook that I manage to install Linux Mint into, and that's why I decided to build a HTPC with linux system.

Any help rendered to solve my problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you installing from CD/DVD or USB? If it's from USB how are you making Bootable USBs?

Hi Videodrome,

I tried both methods. I tried installing Ubuntu and Linux Mint via USB. In both cases downloaded from the site and then using UUI to create the bootable USB.

I also tried installing Ubuntu via CD. I received an Ubuntu CD when I bought a magazine a couple of months back. On top of that I also tried burning the iso image on a DVDRW. In both instances, the same problem occurred.

Is there a possibility that my keyboard/mouse is the problem? I am using a Razer Blackwidow keyboard and Microsoft wireless mouse.

Thanks for the help.

Staff online