Problem logging on

M

Matthew Ollis

On Linux mint 17, I'm administrator but when I try to log on a message prevents me "Could not update ICEauthority file /home/admin/. ICE authority" what do I do

:(It doesn't work, I've tried both the codes but I computer isn't Ubuntu, it's Linux Mint 17.

Do you have another solution for me top fix the problem.

For a problem like this, all distributions are the same. ;) Linux is Linux. The Ubuntu instructions will work on Mint, Arch, fedora, .....at least to fix this permissions issue.

My Linux mint 19 also didn't show up for work a couple of days ago. I have been printing these instructions and codes but my Linux seems to be extra stubborn. So from the login screen, Ctrl+Alt=F1 gives no response, in fact, no keys give any response except within the password box. Someone said "at the login prompt select user <other> type in 'root' but I have no selections available. I booted in 'Advanced' and tried many suggestions. I'm still 'dead-in-the -water.
Did have a power outage and this Linux was in suspend mode. Another desktop with Mint 19 was also in suspend,but it came right back up.
The only thing I can think of is I have been trying to upgrade my KeePass portable, and followed instructions to create a new folder in my 'home' directory. I got that folder created but I never was able to move the new KeePass into it.

You could try being admin by going su (if you have root password) or sudo su and that will put you in root

Thank you Zaki.

Some other solution's involved working the command line, but I can' do anything at the sign in page. Ctrl+Alt+F1, doesn't do anything, I'm not allowed an alternate sign-in name, --nothing.
Steve

Thank you Zaki.

Some other solution's involved working the command line, but I can' do anything at the sign in page. Ctrl+Alt+F1, doesn't do anything, I'm not allowed an alternate sign-in name, --nothing.
Steve
Oops sorry

G'day @Linux4Steve and @Zaki SI-Lounis :D

Just a note that this Thread is over 4 years old with all of its content but yours, easy mistake, when the dates are close.

We had a reorganisation of the site 23 April 2017 just before I got here, and Members had to sign up again, and some content had to be purged, but old ones like this are still around.

The clue is when you see Guest as a userid.

Cheers

Wizard

G'day @Linux4Steve and @Zaki SI-Lounis :D

Just a note that this Thread is over 4 years old with all of its content but yours, easy mistake, when the dates are close.

We had a reorganisation of the site 23 April 2017 just before I got here, and Members had to sign up again, and some content had to be purged, but old ones like this are still around.

The clue is when you see Guest as a userid.

Cheers

Wizard
Well i'm dumb

I'm President of the Dumb Club, you're in good company

Members online

Latest posts