Problem of no audio except on bluetooth, Dummy Audio

BigCapitalist

Reaction score
Credits
I installed pop os on my new laptop and everything runs pretty smooth except that the audio does not work unless connected to bluetooth. It works fine on Windows but now on linux and I have tried a lot of different "fixes" but have so far found nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

The first thing, off the top of my head is.. your speakers in your laptop are bad.

Do you have external speakers you can plug into the speaker/headphone jack?

I am assuming by your post, that you have tried turning bluetooth off.

What hardware shows up in your sound manager?
You may have to change the default output in the sound manager.

1605987750531.png

the speakers on my laptop are fine. I have a dual boot with windows and in windows everything works fine, on pop os there is not even a selection for an audio output device. Originally it was not working at all, only bluetooth and it said it was dummy audio, then after hours of looking around i found one person that had a fix that worked for me. Then I tried to make that permanent and that screwed it up even more t where there is not even dummy audio as a selection...

I read from multiple people it has something to do with the kernel and still no one has gotten to fixing it so people have their own solutions but those dont work for everyone.

I thought maybe reversing whatever I did would at least put it back to the way it was but its just stuck like it is now. Everything works great besides the audio and its super annoying to have to switch to windows just for audio.

What is the output from...

lspci | grep -i audio

Also, do you have a package with a name anything similar to alsa-utils ??

What is the output from...

lspci | grep -i audio

Also, do you have a package with a name anything similar to alsa-utils ??
Screenshot from 2020-11-21 22-31-19.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-21 22-31-33.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-21 22-33-39.png

Screenshot from 2020-11-21 22-34-49.png

Sorry about not posting screenshots earlier, just got this laptop and pop os and a lot of the keys are different.
The audio devices are there, I think the main problem is that pop os is looking for intel chipsets when its an amd audio chipset, that is really the only thing i cant think of.

Edit: Another issue I am having now is pulseaudio control will not start. I am tempted to just uninstall pop os and reinstall it but that will be a bitch to do on a dual boot drive and I will still have the same issue of no sound.

In your bottom image, I do not see an output device, sometimes you have to manually select it.
Just curious, why PopOS, there is nothing wrong with it, just an unusual choice in my opinion.

there is no output device... It does not even let me select it.

I figured I would try pop os since I have ubuntu on my desktop and mate on my raspberry pi. So far I like it, its just that I cant get the sound to work. From what I have seen this is a problem in ubuntu as well considering pop is based off of it.

I may just reinstall it and try again.

I’ve had this exact problem before.
Audio being routed to a dummy output device.
Offhand, I can’t remember how I fixed it, because it was a while ago.

I only had the problem after using an external, USB audio interface, to record a demo of a song.

The day afterwards, I restarted my laptop without the audio interface plugged in and discovered that I had no sound.
Looking in ALSA and pulseaudio - sound was being routed through a dummy device and I had no way of selecting the onboard sound card.

However, I solved the issue myself and I’m sure I posted something about it here, when somebody else was having problems with their sound.

If I find it, I’ll edit this post with a link to it.

Edit:
This was the solution when I had the dummy interface problem after using HDMI output.
I can’t find the solution I posted about the dummy interface used after using an external USB interface though... That may have been on one of the posts that was lost from one of the older iterations of Linux.org. Or it may be that I posted that one in a different website......

Last edited:
I installed a new kernel version, 5.9 and now sound works which is great, however the sound is pretty shitty. It sounds way better on windows, not sure if it has something to do with the particular speaker type or what, but the Bang & Olufsen speakers sound pretty great for a laptop but only on windows for now...

I am not too sure where to go from here regarding volume and quality, would I need drivers from this speaker company?

I rebooted my system and now the sound does not work anymore.

This is starting to drive me insane, I have never seen something be so much of a pain in the ass. I am new to Linux but I have spent 2 days trying to fix this and still cant. When I do fix it, it just reverts back to where it was or another problem pops up.

edit:

I tried this command "lsof" and this came up but I have no idea what to make of it.
Screenshot from 2020-11-22 04-04-26.png

edit 2: I uninstalled pop os and installed Parrot MATE OS just to check it out and see if the sound would work, it works fine, but sound quality from the laptop speakers is subpar and tinny again, but at least it works.

I am just not sure why in some distros like pop it is having issues but in another like parrot it is fine. I may also try Ubuntu today and see, at a minimum I am learning how to install and uninstall linux distros a million times so its not all that bad.

edit 3: I tried this https://medium.com/@gamunu/enable-high-quality-audio-on-linux-6f16f3fe7e1f
that did not seem to do anything. The sound works but is low and the quality is still much lower than in Windows but the headphones sound fine.

Last edited:

Members online