Problem with activating Bluetooth in Mint Cinnamon 18.2

Hi Atanere, I purchased a bluetooth dongle and attempted to set it up.Everything looked good and the bluetooth icon appears in lower right of my screen .It picks up the speaker and says successfully added but sound comes through th laptop speakers and not through the bluetooth speaker. Ive tried to see if there is a switch to direct sound through the bluetooth speaker and not the laptop speaker.Can you perhaps think of what could be happening here Kind Regards Jock

Hi Jock,

OK, I hope we can get this going! :D Just a coupe of quick checks, but these are probably good from what you said above. Your icon now should be a bright blue color (not a dimmed gray). When you left-click on it, it should show any nearby devices, including your speaker... and it should show the speaker as "connected." All good, right?

This is where I hope we get it... so, left-click on your speaker icon on the panel (near the bluetooth icon, maybe by the clock). In that little window, click on the Sound Settings. The settings windows has 4 tabs along the top, and mine opened to the Output tab, which is what we want. There it should show Devices... and I think you can click on your new speaker there to make it work.

While on that Output tab, there is a "Test Sound" button below the Devices, but that does not work for me... maybe it will for you. But back at the top, I switched tabs to "Sound Effects" and after increasing the volume up from zero, I was able to click on the small play button on individual system sounds and hear them in my headset.

I hope that works to get your speaker going! But the next thing is I'm not sure if it will keep the new speaker as a default so that it is active after you reboot the computer, or if you will have to go through this step each time. I'm running my test on a Live Mint DVD, so no settings survive a reboot for me right now. But if yours does not keep the new speaker after a reboot, then we will look to see if there is a way to fix that.

Cheers

Hi Atanere, Thanks for coming back to me. I have Blueman installed .1. The bluetooth icon in the system tray is greyed out.
2. The speaker icon is not showing there but if I click on the greyed out icon i opens up a menu where if I click on devices it shows the speaker and if I click on setup it proceeds to say congratulations device successfully added. However the speaker icon isn't showing in the system tray so I can't proceed from there. Kind Regards Jock

Hi Atanere, Thanks for coming back to me. I have Blueman installed .1. The bluetooth icon in the system tray is greyed out.
2. The speaker icon is not showing there but if I click on the greyed out icon i opens up a menu where if I click on devices it shows the speaker and if I click on setup it proceeds to say congratulations device successfully added. However the speaker icon isn't showing in the system tray so I can't proceed from there. Kind Regards Jock

Oops, sorry... I forgot about Blueman. OK, I've installed Mint 18.2 Cinnamon onto a laptop now also, and I installed Blueman from the Synaptic Package Manager. Of course we still may have differences if you've made other changes to your system, but mine is a bare bones fresh install so I hope that it will be close. Another difference is my headset may respond differently than your speaker, but we'll do the best we can.

I don't think Blueman really makes much difference, though it does put another icon on the panel. Your speaker icon (volume control) should be to the right of the clock, the very last one on the right of the panel... but if its missing that's not a big deal either. It is just one way to access the Sound settings.

So, since your earlier reply said "device successfully added".... I think that your bluetooth is now turned on (enabled) and your panel icon should be a bright blue color instead of the dimmed out gray. If not, click that bluetooth icon and turn it on first. Then, going a different route this time.... click your Menu button and type the word "sound" (without quotes) and it will pop up the Sound settings as the first choice, so you can just hit Enter to launch the settings app. There, the Sound settings will also show Devices, and your builit-in speakers will be default and highlighted, but you should see your new speaker there... so click on it, and it should be ready to go! Try playing some music or watching a video to test it.

I'm finding on reboot that the bluetooth reconnects my headset (so the panel icon goes bright blue).... but the Sound settings go back to internal speakers. I'm not sure if we can make the bluetooth the default, or not, but I'll look into that while I await your next reply. I hope you report that the speaker is working now! :D

EDIT: Well, sometimes bluetooth reconnects my headset, and sometimes not. I'll have to test that a little more too.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think I've stumbled on a possible clue,but here's where I;m going to need your help.In the adapter setup it's looking for the file for the adapter and I've got it as Jock@ Aspire E1-571which is my computer address ,is it not looking for the specific MAC address or name of the adapter and if it is I'm not sure where to find it.And also in local services it is asking for the incoming folder and Iv'e got it as .blue proximity and that doesn't seem to work and here again I don.t know what file to look for.In the sound selection it is showing the output as built in audio instead of the bluetooth speaker and input as internal microphone which should possibly again be the adapter. I don't know if I'm up a gumtree with my reckoning but your help would be much appreciated.Kind Regards Jock

I think I've stumbled on a possible clue,but here's where I;m going to need your help.In the adapter setup it's looking for the file for the adapter and I've got it as Jock@ Aspire E1-571which is my computer address ,is it not looking for the specific MAC address or name of the adapter and if it is I'm not sure where to find it.And also in local services it is asking for the incoming folder and Iv'e got it as .blue proximity and that doesn't seem to work and here again I don.t know what file to look for.In the sound selection it is showing the output as built in audio instead of the bluetooth speaker and input as internal microphone which should possibly again be the adapter. I don't know if I'm up a gumtree with my reckoning but your help would be much appreciated.Kind Regards Jock

Hi Jock,

You do not need any "files" for sound connections. I do see these options in the Blueman settings, but unless I'm mistaken, these are for other Bluetooth devices... for example, I could connect my phone to my laptop via bluetooth and transfer files (photos, ringtones, etc). When you are looking in Local Services (Transfer)... it is the same issue: you are not transferring files so this is not needed to be configured for an incoming folder.

Instead, in Local Services, look at the Network settings... those may apply to you. In my setup, the Network Access Point (NAP) is NOT checked. Down below, the PAN Support and DUN Support are both ticked for NetworkManager. If yours is set to Blueman, you may try to change those settings to see if that helps. However, I changed mine to Blueman and my headset still works. So I'm doubting that Network has any bearing on Sound either (so don't check the NAP box).

Again, above in post #22, you said that Blueman reports that your device was added successfully.... and I take that to mean your new speaker is the device that it found. When you open the Blueman settings, and click or mouse-over the "Recent Connections" option.... I think you should see your new speaker there. If not, you may need to re-pair your speaker and laptop with Blueman (I just paired mine again too to test those steps).

I think you're on the verge of having sound.... we may be missing something simple, perhaps.

1. Let's make sure you've done this step too: Click Menu, go to the Sound & Video category, and if you have a selection showing to "Install multimedia codecs".... click that and allow it to install (you'll need your password to install new software). If you don't see this option, then it is already installed. Some programs need these or else they won't play some sounds and/or videos... and I had to do this before it would play MP3 music files.

2. Tell us what you are trying to watch or listen to with your speaker.... YouTube videos? MP3 music? What program are you using? For example, for YouTube you would be using a web browser, like Firefox which is built in to Mint. But maybe you're doing something different and we're missing a step that way.

OK, I think I'll pause there and see what your next reply brings. Again, I think you're close... so I hope we figure it out before long. Maybe Wizard or someone else will jump in with some better thoughts too.

Cheers

Maybe Wizard or someone else will jump in with some better thoughts too.

I love this boundless confidence you have in me, Stan :)D) even if it is misplaced. I think I described at #9 on page 1 how much I don't know about Bluetooth.

However I do spend a lot of time thinking outside the box.

@Awsim ... Jock, do you have, or would you consider using, an image hosting website, whereby you could capture screenshots and post them here? It would enhance our knowledge, and better help us direct you ... a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Options that will likely be compatible with this site include, but are not necessarily limited to:

• imgur.com
  • photobucket.com
  • tinypic.com and
  • postimages.org
I use Imgur (but the choices are yours), where I currently have about 376 screenshots, have done for 3 years, as you may be able to see a few examples here https://wizardfromoz.imgur.com/

If YES, then you can simply make the acquaintance of GNOME Screenshot (type screenshot under Menu or find it at Accessories) and play with it a bit, and then for any questions you have on this Thread or another, we can get a good idea of where you are going and what you are encountering.

No pressure and the choices are yours ... you are the driver behind the steering wheel of your computer :D

Over and out for the night

Wizard up a gumtree (eucalyptus is the fancy name, lol)

I love this boundless confidence you have in me, Stan :)D) even if it is misplaced. I think I described at #9 on page 1 how much I don't know about Bluetooth.

However I do spend a lot of time thinking outside the box.

You're a proven good troubleshooter, Wiz! We all have good days and bad days, but we both are determined to help folks solve their issues when we can (and sometimes we can't). I had never connected anything to a computer with bluetooth until a couple of days ago... but I had the necessary parts so it was a good experience for me too. But so far mine has worked and @Awsim's hasn't.... now, to find out why! o_O:D

You're a proven good troubleshooter, Wiz! We all have good days and bad days, but we both are determined to help folks solve their issues when we can (and sometimes we can't). I had never connected anything to a computer with bluetooth until a couple of days ago... but I had the necessary parts so it was a good experience for me too. But so far mine has worked and @Awsim's hasn't.... now, to find out why! o_O:D
Hi Atanere and wizard from Oz I must apologise for being absent lately but our roof was blown off in a violent tornado, no one hurt ,we were out at the time. However everything is now back to normal and all repaired.Back to the pesky bluetooth, I have managed to get it to work but it is hit and miss, sometimes it starts and sometimes not.I then have to reboot to get it to work and then it doesn't always connect.Is there a way to get it to automatically connect on start up?Thanks in anticipation Jock

Hi Atanere and wizard from Oz I must apologise for being absent lately but our roof was blown off in a violent tornado, no one hurt ,we were out at the time. However everything is now back to normal and all repaired.Back to the pesky bluetooth, I have managed to get it to work but it is hit and miss, sometimes it starts and sometimes not.I then have to reboot to get it to work and then it doesn't always connect.Is there a way to get it to automatically connect on start up?Thanks in anticipation Jock

Hi Jock,

Very sorry to hear of your weather disaster!!! But glad to know that no one was hurt. I live in a tornado prone area too, and though I've had some nearby, luckily I've never had any damage.

I am off for only a short break from work right now, and much of my spare time will be chasing the holiday festivities with my wife and friends.... so I know I won't be able to do much serious searching for the bluetooth problem for a bit. Maybe Wizard will be able to spot something quicker. I did do a quick look though, and it seems that bluetooth may be somewhat notorious for not connecting at startup, whether mouse, keyboard, or speakers... so you are definitely not alone with this trouble. But it's too soon (for me) to tell whether the fix will be easy, or more complicated. You might also Google around on this.... including the same issue with Debian and Ubuntu since Mint is derived from both of them, so solutions are often similar.

Happy New Year!

Hey Jock... any luck looking around with Google? The holiday was short-lived and I am back on my work cycle right now (12-hr shifts), so it's hard to find enough time to dig into this at the moment. I find some folks on the web who have had some success by making some changes to a couple of config files, but I haven't loaded up a copy of Mint/Cinnamon again to look for those and to test with my headset. I will try to do that when my next off days come up

I hope it's warmer where you're at... it was -10F (-23C) on my drive home tonight. Brrrr!

Cheers

Jock, Jock, Jock, Jock, Jock.

I'm really surprised and disappointed that you put something as trivial as an uplifted roof over our Linux threads.:rolleyes:

Just kidding :D:D - wow, you have been in the wars, hope 2018 is a prosperous year for you and yours. :)

When you get time and opportunity, on your Sonya Cinn, go to Menu - Preferences - Bluetooth and click and let us know what it says about having an icon in the Tray or not.

That's a start and I will check more options soon.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi Jock,

Sorry that it is taking me so long, but I have not forgotten. I just bought a bluetooth speaker to use for testing rather than the cell phone headset I was using. I don't know if that will make much difference or not... but it gives me a new toy to play with also! :D

Early signs are not good... it looks like I am having just as much trouble, and it does not want to re-connect. But I am going into another work cycle tonight so it will again delay me for awhile. I have found on my speaker that there is an aux input jack for an audio cable.... do you have such a jack also? And, if so, is it an option for you to use a cable rather than the wireless bluetooth connection? I have not tried it yet, but it seems that such a wired connection would work consistently (using the headphone output jack on the laptop).

Cheers

Hi Atanere and Wizard, At last I have managed to get this pesky thing to work.The trick is after booting up to switch off the speaker and switch it back on, obviously it is sending a signal by doing this.Whatever at last its working Thank you both for all your dogged help and I wish you both everything of the best for the coming year.

That is excellent news, Jock (@Awsim ), we are glad for you, and I will add your solution to my Wiki/KB (knowledge base).

Begs the question - now what is Stan going to do with his new Bluetooth speaker???

Don't worry, as a Mod(erator) he gets paid the big bucks for being around here (not) ;):cool::p:eek::rolleyes:

I'll have to get me a soundbar or something, lol.

I asked Santa at the North Pole to bring me more memory - I meant the stuff between my left ear and my right ear, but he sent RAM sticks so I sent 'em back.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi Atanere and Wizard, At last I have managed to get this pesky thing to work.The trick is after booting up to switch off the speaker and switch it back on, obviously it is sending a signal by doing this.Whatever at last its working Thank you both for all your dogged help and I wish you both everything of the best for the coming year.

Hey, that is great news! I am glad that it was such a simple fix too... it is way too easy to overthink problems sometimes and end up going down the wrong paths. I hope that it works similarly on my new speaker as well. I'm very much looking forward to listening to music with it, and maybe enjoying the enhanced sound for videos also. :cool::D

Cheers

Don't worry, as a Mod(erator) he gets paid the big bucks for being around here (not) ;):cool::p:eek::rolleyes:

That's right... here's one of those big bucks! (My front yard... before the snow started falling.)
Oh, I should credit my wife... she took the photo.
buck.jpg

That is excellent news, Jock (@Awsim ), we are glad for you, and I will add your solution to my Wiki/KB (knowledge base).

Begs the question - now what is Stan going to do with his new Bluetooth speaker???

I'll have to get me a soundbar or something, lol.

I asked Santa at the North Pole to bring me more memory - I meant the stuff between my left ear and my right ear, but he sent RAM sticks so I sent 'em back.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
What? You sent back free ram? Shame on you wiz:D:D. Remember "Cheap is good, free is better".o_O I haven't interrupted, but I have been lurking in the background. Score one more for the (us) old farts!!:p:p

Happy Trails,
Paul

Hi guys, I need your help. my laptop is not detecting bluetooth adapter. can you please help me.

Hi Jock,

Yeah, I'm sorry it turned out like that. I had never realized how tricky it is to find out if Bluetooth is present or not, so that was a good experience for me too. With a Bluetooth dongle I would guess that your Bluez application will work as expected and you'll get some better sound on that speaker.

Cheers

Friend, I'm also having a serious problem connecting my ps3 joystick via bluetooth. i followed all the steps they showed the colleague and my notebook sim has bluetooth lol. but my device just keeps plugging and disconnecting next. I appreciate any help. A hug from Brazil.