Problem with booting on Battery.

Yarremon

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, i am totally new in Linux world. I have a new laptop Asus Vivobook 15. I installed Linux Mint on it. Everything works fine, i really like it. I have done some Steps after installing Linux Mint.

But i have a problem with booting/starting system. When laptop is on AC everything works. When i tried to start on Battery i can see only black screen after Mint logo. Can someone help me?

Maybe is it a problem with GRUB?

Please forgive me my English, and please tell me about errors (?) in my text.

Thanks you very much.

Hello, i am totally new in Linux world. I have a new laptop Asus Vivobook 15. I installed Linux Mint on it. Everything works fine, i really like it. I have done some Steps after installing Linux Mint.

But i have a problem with booting/starting system. When laptop is on AC everything works. When i tried to start on Battery i can see only black screen after Mint logo. Can someone help me?

Maybe is it a problem with GRUB?

Please forgive me my English, and please tell me about errors (?) in my text.

Thanks you very much.
Hi @Yarremon and welcome to the forum :) Fisrt, are you sure the battery is fully charged? Powering up consumes a lot of energy and if it is at 50% or less might stop the system from starting. My advice, unless you have already done that, is to make sure that the battery is 100% charged and then try again, if the problem persists then something else might be happening in which case there are a number of ways to troubleshoot and try to find the root cause.

There are maybe some powersaving services build in Linux mint. It would be nice to see the console output while boot up.
To achieve this you may go into your grub (hold down Esc while booting), and edit the Linux mint entry (press e) and erase the "quiet" kernel parameter. Then ctrl +x and you'll get many bootup massages on screen, this may be a way to find out, why it doesn't boot up properly.

Hello again, now i have this laptop again. So in GRUB:

IMG_20200425_084434.jpg

When i erase QUIET then i can read nothing. System just starting. This problem is like event (happens sometimes). Sometimes starting normally, sometimes just black screen. I think maybe linux doesn't operate something in hardware?

IMG_20200425_085452.jpg

Safeguard the battery in Asus?

I have the same issue on similar hardware: ASUS VivoBook M413DA-WS51 (using AMD Ryzen 5 processor).

Has a fix been identified?

(I also have no Linux experience. I bought the laptop new to learn; it came with Windows 10 but I never booted it once.)

Here’s what happens after hitting the power button, with approximate duration of each event after that:
  1. ASUS splash screen (3 seconds)
  2. Boot options per GNU GRUB version 2.04:
    *Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
    Advanced options for Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
    UEFI Firmware Settings
  3. I hit enter to choose top option.
  4. ASUS splash screen again (1 second)
  5. Black screen (6 seconds)
  6. Linux Mint (LM) logo appears (3 seconds)
  7. Black screen (2 seconds)
  8. Flash at top left of screen (disappears immediately, but I recorded a video):
    Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa [my laptop’s name] ttyl
    [my laptop’s name] login:
  9. Immediately after that vanishes, there’s a single dash at top left of screen (14 seconds)
  10. The screen refreshes from one shade of black to another, (stays that way until I power off.)
I turn on again with power button and manually select “Advanced options for Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon” then choose 2nd option: “Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, with Linux 5.4.0-74-generic (recovery mode)” and proceed to resume boot, successfully, but with a graphics driver issue that doesn’t exist under normal boot with laptop plugged into the wall. Sometimes, I’ve been able to restart from the recovery login to a normal boot that works. But not lately.

Checking other sites, I see potential solutions that have to do with changing from SATA to AHCI or maybe an issue with the AMD graphics that could require fix via “nomodeset”. I don’t know what those are and the describes fixes were for a slightly different issue than this exact problem: Mint on ASUS laptop that won’t boot on battery (will boot fine plugged in or on battery in recovery mode without full graphics).

Thanks for any help!

what is the output of
Code:
inxi -Fxz
please post back - if it is an AMD you will most likely have to upgrade the kernel to 5.10 or later to get the required drivers

Thanks for the lead, Expirion. Output of inxi -Fxz is:

System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X421DA_M413DA
v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X421DA v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
UEFI: American Megatrends v: X421DA.301 date: 04/10/2020
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 42.1 Wh condition: 42.0/42.1 Wh (100%)
model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery status: Not charging
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 1 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
bogomips: 33538
Speed: 1225 MHz min/max: 1400/2100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1326 2: 1364
3: 1263 4: 1272 5: 1365 6: 1276 7: 1354 8: 1325
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Picasso vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu v: kernel
bus ID: 03:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-74-generic LLVM 11.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: AMD Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.1
Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.6
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: AzureWave driver: rtl8821ce v: v5.5.2.1_35598.20191029 port: <REDACTED BY GRATISAMOR>
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 8.30 GiB (3.5%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Micron model: 2200 MTFDHBA256TCK
size: 238.47 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 232.28 GiB used: 8.29 GiB (3.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
ID-2: swap-1 size: 976.0 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 43.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 43 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Info:
Processes: 259 Uptime: 1m Memory: 5.82 GiB used: 813.2 MiB (13.7%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

I don't know that my port info matters, but seemed safer to leave it out. Thanks again for any help.

Seems there are no Linux drivers available for AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx the only thing I can suggest is to check whether or not the AMDGPU drivers will help or not
Code:
dpkg -l amdgpu-pro
This will provide you with the version of the AMDGPU-Pro stack on your system, or inform you that there are no packages found

Regrettably, it was the latter. No packages. Thanks anyway
Have a look here about installing the AMDGPU-Pro
I doubt this will work but may be worth a shot
Best thing I can suggest is to upgrade the kernel you can get Ubuntu Mainline kernels from here
Some people may argue against it since they are generally considered for testing purposes but at least you can grab it and try it out - the latest right now it is 5.12.10 - but most likely since you are using Mint 20.1 and it is based on Buntu 20.04 you will not be able to install it - the latest Ubuntu Mainline kernel you can use is 5.10.32 or earlier due to a compatibility issue with libc6 any Ubuntu Mainline kernel later then 5.10.32 (ie 5.10.33 and onward) requires libc6 v2.33 and Buntu/Mint 20.04 has v2.31 Why Canonical/Buntu did this is beyond me but anyway - these are the 4 files you need to download:
1) https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-p...generic_5.10.32-051032.202104210836_amd64.deb
2) https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-p...32-051032_5.10.32-051032.202104210836_all.deb
3) https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-p...generic_5.10.32-051032.202104210836_amd64.deb
4) https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-p...generic_5.10.32-051032.202104210836_amd64.deb
once downloaded - most likely to your download folder - right click inside that folder and select open terminal here then type in
Code:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
to install them once installed reboot the new kernel should load automatically and hopefully your AMD stuff will work better
When 20.04.3 is released around the end of August 2021 then kernel 5.11 will be available to Ubuntu 20.04 based OS's but until that time the above mainline kernel is what I recommend unless someone else has a better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found here is good tips to solve my issue with my laptop' battery issue which I have been facing few day. Now It is ok

WORKING!

(At least temporarily; I have only tried to boot on battery once so far, but it worked.)

Here's what I did that worked (tried after failing as detailed below):
WORKED:
downloaded the 4 files from Lord Boltar's 11:24 reply.
got error running specified code with "#4", tried first, and "#3" tried second.
Succeeded running specified code with "#2", tried third.
Succeeded running specified code with "#1", tried fourth.
Retried "#3" & "#4" in same and reversed orders, but neither worked.
Rebooted.
ran "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" after that and good stuff happened; I could tell it was making good progress.
updated and upgraded again.
Powered down, unplugged, booted successfully on battery!

DIDN'T WORK:
Downloaded amdgpu-pro drivers from here:
and followed instructions here:
but terminal spat out error of "Unsupported OS"

FOLLOW-UP:
Should I try running the code for "#3" and "#4" now, or is this what the system did when I rebooted and updated/upgraded?
Should I try installing the amdgpu drivers now in hope of having a supported OS now?

While things are working, I'm a bit wary to make changes that could foul me up.

Thank you Expirion Lord Boltar!

Did you try to install the four files one at a time?
when installing the 4 files for the new kernel you cannot install them one a time you must install them all at once use this to install all of them at the same time
Code:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
as per above - installing kernel files one at a time will give you errors

I did not think those drivers would work - per above "I doubt this will work but may be worth a shot" those were the last drivers AMD put out for Linux and they are dated.

LB, my recollection is that I tried the code exactly as you had it, with the asterisk, but that I got some kind of error message. I then assumed the asterisk was shorthand for those enormous file names, so I proceeded that a ways: individually in order indicated. I haven’t used that laptop today to see if the fix still works. Things seem good though. Should I be worried?

LB, my recollection is that I tried the code exactly as you had it, with the asterisk, but that I got some kind of error message. I then assumed the asterisk was shorthand for those enormous file names, so I proceeded that a ways: individually in order indicated. I haven’t used that laptop today to see if the fix still works. Things seem good though. Should I be worried?
You got an error message from kernel install would be nice to see the log file to see what the error was - if you do not know how to retrieve the logs I would recommend installing ksystemlog to view the logs
Code:
sudo apt install ksystemlog
Once installed it is usually under System Menu you can open it from there then click on the Kernel tab to see if you can locate the error message

I finally got around to trying that. I installed ksystemlog but the Kernal tab was empty.

I went to my Downloads folder and ran

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

from there again. I didn't get any error messages that time. Boot from battery still works.

I checked ksystem log after running that and it's still blank.

I'm happy though. System works!

However…

I made another movie of the boot and I now get these messages before the Mint login screen:

[ 0.449034] Initramfs unpacking failed: Decoding failed

it goes away and comes back, then goes away and is followed by:

Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa ____computer name____ ttyl
____computer name_____ login:

Thanks again.

Members online

Latest posts