Problem With Install of any Distro on IMac A1419

toddmuffarino

Reaction score
Credits
So i have been using Linux Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, and Tails on PC for about 12 years now. Never had an issue with an install. I have never really been a MAC guy because i don't like some things about there locking you in to there OS amongst other quirks. Now i got an old IMAC A1419, Tried reinstalling original OS with no Luck. Did some research and found out about the T2 Chip, Disabled That. Then Set Password for UEFI, as directed for next step. Now i have a flashing Question Mark in a Folder blinking. I followed these steps only to be able to install anything from a usb or cd. I cannot even get it to read live Boot DVD's. I am at a stand still and really would like to test MAC hardware against PC especially with Linux.

Anyone with any info would be much appreciated.
Thank You so much.

I am not very familiar with iMac architecture, but how have you set up UEFI. Specifically WRT UEFI vs. Legacy or CMS, and the SATA boot properties, such as AHCI. I'm assuming that UEFI can be as problematic on a Mac motherboard as it can be with some PC motherboard makers.

At this point I can enter the UEFI, or legacy to change anything after I put a pin or pass on it. Its basically bricked.

At this point I can enter the UEFI, or legacy to change anything after I put a pin or pass on it. Its basically bricked.
Thank you for responding. I'm hoping someone with some experience with macs will lend a hand. Please HELP. And thank you

This may help.

I'm not sure if a Mac works this way but maybe try going into the BIOS under the boot section and set it to boot to either the cdrom drive or usb.

Got these instructions in a google search:
  1. Switch off your Mac computer.
  2. Plug the bootable Linux USB drive into your Mac.
  3. Turn on your Mac while holding down the Option key. ...
  4. Select your USB stick and hit enter. ...
  5. Then select Install from the GRUB menu. ...
  6. Follow the on-screen installation instructions. ...
  7. On the Installation Type window, choose Something else.
Install Linux on an Imac

Hope that helps.

Members online