[SOLVED]Problem with Internet connection after VPN fail

Hedgegod

Reaction score
Credits
I don't 100% know what happened, but VPN stopped to work some moment, and after that I lost any connection to the Internet. I still can see the wifi networks, even connect to them, but Firefox doesn't load any pages, discord doesn't work, and speedtest from console says that I don't have an internet connection. I also tried to share the Internet from my phone through usb, it connected successfully, but still offline. I removed the vpn and all it's dependencies, but it didn't helped. I don't know what to do, i even can not reinstall the NetworkManager because dnf won't be able to download it. My OS is Fedora 36, it was ProtonVPN

G'day @Hedgegod and welcome to linux.org

I likely can't help with the issue behind what caused this but if you want a relatively quick solution I would suggest safeguarding personal data and a reinstall.

For example
  1. Use a USB Live (Fedora) stick to identify such data (may be in Home) and move or save that
  2. Then reinstall Fedora 36
Once reinstalled, depending on file system method chosen (BTRFS or EXT4) install and run snapshot software - Snapper for BTRFS or Timeshift for EXT4 (the latter to an external drive) and then you are back in business.

HTH

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Try to connect to VPN again and then disconnect the VPN, after this internet should work

If not, edit resolv.conf file and set nameserver as 8.8.8.8

Here is the original answer

Try to connect to VPN again and then disconnect the VPN, after this internet should work

If not, edit resolv.conf file and set nameserver as 8.8.8.8

Here is the original answer
I deleted the vpn, so I can not to connect to it again. Also i remember that before I deleted it, i tried to connect, but vpn said that I have no internet connection and it can not connect me. Now I changed nameserver to 8.8.8.8, i can do speedtest from console but discord and Firefox still don't load. I have also tried to install that vpn with dnf, but there is just endless loading

G'day @Hedgegod and welcome to linux.org

I likely can't help with the issue behind what caused this but if you want a relatively quick solution I would suggest safeguarding personal data and a reinstall.

For example
  1. Use a USB Live (Fedora) stick to identify such data (may be in Home) and move or save that
  2. Then reinstall Fedora 36
Once reinstalled, depending on file system method chosen (BTRFS or EXT4) install and run snapshot software - Snapper for BTRFS or Timeshift for EXT4 (the latter to an external drive) and then you are back in business.

HTH

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Ok, but how can I make a usb stick with Fedora? I have to download it from the website, which doesn't load. I also need to save data from my current hard drive to somewhere, but I can't upload it to cloud, because I have not a connection to net to do it, and i also have not any additional hard drives. I think the problem which I have is related to DNS. Is there a way to set all OS settings to default without losing data and reinstalling?

Last edited:
Do you have Windows running on the computer, or just Linux?

If Windows has an internet connection, you can burn a stick from there using Rufus, Ventoy or Balena Etcher.

Is there a way to set all OS settings to default without losing data and reinstalling?

Beyond my paygrade, but I will mention a few Members' usernames and that will alert them to take a look

@dos2unix , @f33dm3bits , @Lord Boltar , @SlowCoder , @gvisoc

I even can not reinstall the NetworkManager because dnf won't be able to download it.

Did you actually delete the Network Manager, and if so, why?

If you are not sure, then at Terminal, issue the command (for Fedora) of

Code:
sudo systemctl start NetworkManager.service

and let us know if there is any progress.

For when someone else arrives, see if you can have handy the output from either of

Code:
ip link show

or

ifconfig -a

and the part that has information on your wifi is likely what they will be looking for (I take it you do not have an Ethernet connection).

The wifi references will refer to a description starting with "w"

In my case it is

wlp3s0

but yours may be different.

Good luck, but I will keep reading in case I can help further.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Now days Fedoro seems to use something local to point for dns.
Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
However I have my dns pointing towards my pihole and sometimes I change it temporarily for a reason, then I just do this from the terminal.
Code:
sudo nmcli connection modify Wired\ connection\ 1 ipv4.dns 1.1.1.1
sudo nmcli connection reload
sudo nmcli connection up Wired\ connection\ 1

If Windows has an internet connection, you can burn a stick from there using Rufus, Ventoy or Balena Etcher.

Beyond my paygrade, but I will mention a few Members' usernames and that will alert them to take a look

Code:

For when someone else arrives, see if you can have handy the output from either of

Code:
ip link show

or

ifconfig -a

and the part that has information on your wifi is likely what they will be looking for (I take it you do not have an Ethernet connection).

In my case it is

wlp3s0

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Code:

Code:
ip link show

or

ifconfig -a

In my case it is

wlp3s0

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thank you that you are trying to help so far.
Firstly, no, i didn't deleted NetworkManager, i only tried to do sudo dnf reinstall NetworkManager, but it did nothing because it couldn't synchronize with repos.
And also, i have only linux, no windows installed. Here is the output from ip link show:

lo: <LOOPBACK, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc nowhere state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/LOOPBACK 00:00:00:00:00:00 bed 00:00:00:00:00:00 wlo1: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc no queue state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 34:c9:3d:4f:56:cd bed ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff altname wlp0s20f3 ipv6leakintrf0: <BROADCAST, NOARP, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc no queue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether ea:60:eb:70:05:28 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff ham0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 1404 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 7a:79:19:27:6c:d2 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
Btw, i am 100% sure that i hadn't ipv6leakintrf0 position before I started to use vpn. Could it be generated by it?(Proton VPN, now deleted)

Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
However I have my dns pointing towards my pihole and sometimes I change it temporarily for a reason, then I just do this from the terminal.
Code:
sudo nmcli connection reload
sudo nmcli connection up Wired\ connection\ 1
Error: unknown connection Wired connection 1
When trying to perform 1st command

Error: unknown connection Wired connection 1
When trying to perform 1st command
Wired connection is your connnection, that will be different, share the output of.
Code:
nmcli connection show

Wired connection is your connnection, that will be different, share the output of.
Code:
nmcli connection show
Here it is
44b4-807c-8b16a87f5aeb wifi wlo1 4f82-9c6f-cc28d61abfbb dummy ipv6leakintrf0 4b23-a0c0-5872b303def9 tun ham0

I have a usb stick with arch linux, so if I can't solve the problem i will move to arch

Code:
nmcli connection show
I think you are giving me a commands to change the DNS, but I changed it before in resolve.conf. I tried 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 dnses from yandex, it didn't help

The tun/ham0 connection is for the vpn if you removed the vpn software and it is still active it may still be trying to rout your traffic through there. Try removing the connection and reloading your network configuration.

If you have a file named /etc/resolv.conf, it is usually a symbolic link to a proxy that is managed by systemd-resolved. That's why editing /etc/resolv.conf directly is not going to work:
Code:
[l:0, a:0] ~  ls -larth /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 39 Jul 18 20:20 /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf
That stub file will have a nameserver 127.0.0.53, which represents systemd-resolved and will hide your actual nameservers from you. To find out the actual nameservers, you can use this command (as instructed in /etc/resolv.conf itself):
Code:
[l:0, a:0] ~  resolvectl status
Global
       Protocols: LLMNR=resolve -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
resolv.conf mode: stub

Link 3 (wlp0s20f3)
    Current Scopes: DNS LLMNR/IPv4 LLMNR/IPv6
         Protocols: +DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
Current DNS Server: 192.168.0.2
       DNS Servers: 192.168.0.2 1.1.1.1

If you don't see any upstream servers (192.0.0.2 and 1.1.1.1 in the above listing), chances are that:
  • either your systemd-resolved or its configuration is corrupt
  • your VPN program has left behind network interfaces that are getting in the way.
I don't know how to delete network interfaces, but with systemd-resolved there are a couple of things we can try.

1. Stop the service: sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved
2. Delete the symbolic link: sudo rm /etc/resolve.conf
3. Create a new (real) file /etc/resolve.conf (sudo nano /etc/resolv.confwith the following content:
Code:
nameserver 1.1.1.1
options edns0 trust-ad
search .
4. Edit /etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf, and where you see the following line:
Code:
hosts:      files myhostname mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns
Turn it into this one:
Code:
hosts:      files myhostname mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
5. Turn systemd-resolved back on with sudo sysmtectl start systemd-resolved

And then try again resolvectl status and general internet usage.

If it works, let us know and the following would be to delete the unused network interfaces your VPN may have left behind, and force a reinstall of systemd-resolve (and undo all of the above), but step by step.

Last edited:
With regards to reinstall a system with losing your files, there's not much you can do if you have your personal files in the same partition as the system. In that case, you need to procure yourself with a thumbdrive, or something similar, and salvage your files. In that case, tar czf your home directory if you want to keep your permissions.

If you have /home in a separate partition than /, then the only thing you need to do is to make sure you only format / when installing your new system, but you need to be very careful for that. Do not change the partition layout, just tell the installation program to format / and keep the rest intact, making sure that the partitions will get mounted to the appropriate directories (/ and /home being the most critical for this solution). Be aware this may get complicated if you encrypted your home directory (and I am afraid I have never tried to recover such situation, so this is also above my pay grade)

I think you are giving me a commands to change the DNS, but I changed it before in resolve.conf. I tried 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 dnses from yandex, it didn't help
Edit resolv.conf file as below

nameserver 127.0.0.53 options edns0 trust-ad

Save the file and check whether it resolves internet issue

My OS is Fedora 36, it was ProtonVPN
If you have ProtonVPN and had Kill Switch enabled and then let’s say your internet cut out or you shut off your computer without disconnecting from ProtonVPN, kill switch will kill your internet completely. Which will let you connect to WiFi but not any webpage or anything with the internet. The only way I know to fix this is to go into the terminal and type:
Code:
protonvpn-cli
That should bring up a menu with several options. Type:
Code:
protonvpn ks  - - off
or you can try
Code:
nmcli c delete pvpn-ipv6leak-protection
this should disable the kill switch and reboot you should be able to access the internet now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sometimes a pain. resolvectl takes getting used to.

nmcli con mod enp2s0 ipv4.dns '8.8.8.8,9.9.9.9'

Even though it doesn't show up in your resolv.conf, it'll show up in network Manager.

nmcli con show enp2s0 | grep dns

Staff online