Problems in finding a working distro for my netbook

J

Junker

Hello,

I'm new in the Linux world.

I decided to switch from Windows to Linux in order to save an old netbook Toshiba Satellite L20-260 with 512 MB of RAM (442 MB for use).

I tried a lot of distros: Puppy Linux (Precise, Lucid and Wary), Knoppix, DSL, SliTaz, Zenwalk... but I have always the same problem: the Internet connection with that damned Atheros card (and its driver ath5k).

With Puppy I managed to keep working - only for a while - the connection with the "nohwcrypt" command, but the wifi, after a while, got down (although I turned on the Stay Connected option).

Now I'm looking for suggestions: Knoppix was great, but it wasn't able to connect with wifi. Are there any distro that can work with that Atheros card?

Thanks in advance for help.

Having 512 MB of RAM is the minimum for LXLE, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. But they are all solid distros and I'd give them a try, although it might run a little slow.

Maybe a better choice would be Lubuntu... it's minimum RAM is only 128 MB, although that is a little unrealistic too. Still, it might be a little more speedy if it runs and finds your wifi card.

I'm surprised Knoppix didn't find your wifi, but if it would run on your netbook, then probably any of the distros I just named will run as well. Keep trying, you'll get it. There is other info out on the web to enable/configure Atheros if you have to go that route, but it will be much easier if one of the distros will auto-detect for you.

Cheers!

Having 512 MB of RAM is the minimum for LXLE, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. But they are all solid distros and I'd give them a try, although it might run a little slow.

Maybe a better choice would be Lubuntu... it's minimum RAM is only 128 MB, although that is a little unrealistic too. Still, it might be a little more speedy if it runs and finds your wifi card.

I'm surprised Knoppix didn't find your wifi, but if it would run on your netbook, then probably any of the distros I just named will run as well. Keep trying, you'll get it. There is other info out on the web to enable/configure Atheros if you have to go that route, but it will be much easier if one of the distros will auto-detect for you.

Cheers!
Thanks for your help. I tried also Lubuntu, but it had problems with WiFi too. Knoppix detected my WiFi card, but it couldn't connect: it took a lot to connect and stayed in trying to connect all the time.

Yes I have an Atheros card 5k pcmcia card in my case and it works fine with LinuxBBQ. Puppy Linux sometimes requires a new driver to correct the one that comes with a particular kernel.
I would check out the Murga Forums for extra and corrected drivers if you are using an older Puppy.

If using Puppy then use Frisbee seems to maintain longer connections.

For Debian based systems Ceni network manager - very simple to use.

Most distros will work with your Atheros card. You just need to connect TEMPORARILY by cable so you can detect the wifi and download any driver...

Sounds like Atanere is right this was happening with my on board card a broadcom card and it died after constantly disconnecting.

With the *buntu series of distributions there is usually a program called Additional Drivers installed that makes it a bit easier to install proprietary wireless drivers. It doesn't necessarily work for all wireless drivers, but it might help if you're trying Xubuntu/Lubuntu. This dude has done a video on it using an old version of Lubuntu (12.04):

Members online