Problems Installing wine-stable-i386 and wine-stable-amd64

Kindoflame

Reaction score
Credits
I wanted to install Wine in order to play games on Steam, but I keep running into problems with the dependencies. When I try to install the package winehq-stable, I get an error saying wine-stable is not installed. Then when I try to install wine-stable, it says I need wine-stable-i386 and wine-stable-amd64. When I try to install those I get batch of about 2 dozen errors regarding dependencies not installed. This last batch of errors are particularly weird e.g.
Code:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.23-0ubuntu11.2 is to be installed
Depends: libfaudio0 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not installable
Recommends: libcapi20-3 but it is not going to be installed

At this point, I am way over my head. I barely understand what these mean and have no idea how I would even try to fix. A full list of the errors I get is in the spoiler below.

Running sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-stable-i386
Code:
Depends: libc6:i386 (>= 2.29) but 2.23-0ubuntu11.2 is to be installed
Depends: libfaudio0:i386 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not installable
Depends: libgphoto2-6:i386 (>= 2.5.10) but 2.5.9-3 is to be installed
Depends: libgphoto2-port12:i386 (>= 2.5.10) but 2.5.9-3 is to be installed
Depends: libvkd3d1:i386 (>= 1.0) but it is not installable
Recommends: libosmesa6:i386 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 but it is not going to be installed

Running sudo apt install --install-recommends wine-stable-amd64
Code:
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.23-0ubuntu11.2 is to be installed
Depends: libfaudio0 (>= 19.06.07) but it is not installable
Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0) but it is not installable
Depends: libgphoto2-6 (>= 2.5.10) but 2.5.9-3 is to be installed
Depends: libgphoto2-port12 (>= 2.5.10) but 2.5.9-3 is to be installed
Depends: libvkd3d1 (>= 1.0) but it is not installable
Recommends: libcapi20-3 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libodbc1 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libosmesa6 but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libsdl2-2.0-0 but it is not going to be installed

G'day Kindoflame, and Welcome to linux.org

Try a fresh approach

Instructions

Why don't you use the Linux Steam client which has support for a lot of native Linux games plus you get the benefit of being able to use proton to run a lot of Windows games from the Steam Linux client.

f33dm3bits, I did not use the Linux Steam client because the game I wanted to play did not have a Linux version and I did not know about Proton. Fortunately, I was able to activate Proton without too many problems and was able to install the game. Unfortunately, every time I try to run it a solid black window pops up and then closes in a couple of seconds. One user who had the same problem said,
I made the mistake of first running the game from my Windows partition. It seems like proton doesn't like NFTS partitions so make sure that the game isn't installed in one.
I do not know what this means. How can something be outside the partition system your computer uses?

Do you have a NTFS partition anywhere on your system? What I usually do when a game doesn't startup or run correctly is read the game comments from protondb and try settings other people have tried until it works like I want it to run. Trying setting this launch option for the game:
Code:
PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
1. Right Click on game -> Properties
2. Click on "Set Launch Options" and paste: PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
3. Hit Okay and try again.

I ran every command from this article that displays partition type and none of them identified a NTFS partition in my system.

I tried your code and got an error message:
There was an error launching the application.
There is one thing I don't think it is worth mentioning, but I wanted to cover all my bases. When I opened the properties, I did not see anything called "Set Launch Options". However, there was a small rectangle to enter text (I forget exactly what those are called) labeled "Command:"

Can you make a screenshot of it? Here's what mine looks like.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-08-14 13-33-56.png
    Screenshot from 2020-08-14 13-33-56.png
    717.8 KB · Views: 514

Members online