Programs can't open the file manager to save/open/show files

pickypork

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I'm very new to Linux. When saving or opening a file from example Inkscape, nothing happens. I discovered this yesterday, when downloading a file from Firefox. When clicking the button, nothing happened. But i fixed it by changing "Always ask you where to save files" off, so the files now just download automatically. But still, when uploading a file, that box thingy where you select the file, doesn't show up.
Yesterday morning, I couldn't acces the files on my HDD. I asked chat gpt, and after trying lots of different things, I finally had my files back. I think the problem has something to do with permissions I changed when trying to fix this. But I really don't know.

G'day pickypork, Welcome to Linux.org

Do you have Timeshift setup?.....if you do, you can simply restore to a time before you changed permissions etc

What is happening to the OP happens to me too. But I'm using the Firefox AppImage, which might have to do with it. Probably because the main security setting is set to "medium" instead of the first setting. (In Privacy and Security/Enhanced Tracking Protection) Or... further down that same page, check for "Block pop-up windows", it might have to be turned off but I wouldn't if I were you if you visit many different sites and it's not possible to trust them. Otherwise this is very frustrating and I have to open the file manager on its own and dragon drop into the active page shown on the web browser.

BTW Welcome to the forums. :)

Back up, create a system image and burn onto a blank disk. Depending on the format of your files eg. gif, jpeg… you can reformat by compressing the files and generating a duplicate. If it’s possible try to stay off the internet whilst you are doing this as certain types of malware may make the problem worse. If all else fails you may want to save the files onto a USB stick or external hard drive and totally start again using a ‘boot’ method upon starting up your computer. Just hold down F5 and reinstall using one of the many operating systems (os). It is possible (with another computer) to download from the providers website. For example Windows, Ubuntu or Debian.
Kind regards.

To the OP:

You will have to give us more information about what computer and which Linux distribution you're using. You also need to tell us if you were on Windows when you tried to access the files that you tried to upload or save while on Linux. It's not an excuse if you started using Linux yesterday. Because what happened to you could have also happened to a deep veteran/expert, or to someone like me who will never be "intermediate" user LOL.

Windows cannot "natively" read partitions formatted for Linux. An entire disk formatted for "ext4" or other Unix-like specific file system isn't even recognized nor shown by File Explorer. I don't know how Windows11 is and it might be different but Windows10 cannot read "ext4" nor other format it considers strange, which isn't what is originally on a pluggable USB disk, or "NTFS" which is what a C: drive on Windows should be formatted into "at the factory". A disk that could be bought for 10USD at OfficeMax should be formatted either as "FAT32" or as "exFAT"/"VFAT".

If you had been on Linux all the while trying to upload and access your files then something must have happened to cause the OS to mark the entire partition as read-only. That really sucks. But don't panic. The files that you deem most valuable should still be accessible but you will have to copy them to another medium, like a reliable USB disk that could be unplugged (not to another internal hard disk and risk having the same problem happening to you again). Then the disk might have to be reformatted and the Linux OS reinstalled, and everything done properly, so you are able to make changes to files while within that OS, as well as being able to read them and copy them.

Yesterday morning, I couldn't acces the files on my HDD. I asked chat gpt, and after trying lots of different things, I finally had my files back. I think the problem has something to do with permissions I changed when trying to fix this. But I really don't know.
There it is in a nutshell. You went about changing permissions.

It is impossible for us to know which permissions you changed.

Save any data/pics etc etc to either a usb stick, or an external hard drive (if you need to....you may have nothing to save yet because you have just started with Linux)

Reinstall.

Do yourself a favour and keep it simple. Save anything you need to save and REINSTALL.

If you need any help getting the Install done correctly....Please ASK. Take notes, so you don't miss anything

Tell us what your pc model is, and its specs...ram, etc etc Also tell us which Linux you will be using....Linux Mint?...cinnamon?....etc

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

When I download anything it always goes to the Downloads folder by default...doesn't matter what Distro or Browser...unless I change it. Once Downloaded you can move it anywhere you like and open to install but when you start changing permissions or changing things you really shouldn't without experience...it's very difficult to help.
m1512.gif

Members online

Latest posts