PSU Help [SOLVED]

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
Dunno where else to put this, it's "hsrdware".

Anyhoo, my PSU sounds like there's a shot bearing. Started with a clicking sound in 2018 (1yo) and I thought it was my then-GPU fan until discovering otherwise. TL;DR circimstances arose, events ensued, and here I am: The fcker is full whirring and grating and sounds like s blender got beat up.
I figured out that shoving a screwdriver through the vent and halting the fan a couple of seconds worked. Also realised the less annoying/invasive method of banging the back of the case really hard, but the fix is temporary. Problem is:
A stuffed up fan bearing,
Will just keep on wearing,
And case bashing's a bad idea,
Damaged hard drives, what I fear

I'm broke coz I'm moving soon and just outlayed my entire savings on deposit, rent im advance, and "lease fees" (which is BS, they make that up). I've also outlayed 2.5k ZAR (divide by 16 for USD) related paraphernalia for the move and work. The cheapest replacement is 1k ZAR which may not seem a lot but I'm living on sandwiches, noodles, and day-old muffins/cupcakes/etc. I'm broke until payday and too fcking stubborn and proud to ask for a loan.

Any suggestions? I don't have a replacement fan either, else I'd have tried filing an 80mm fan to fit. Don't suppose anyone here has braved running a PSU sans a fan or tapinging one on the outside?

Yes, I know ignoring my one mate's advice was stupid (and why I can't ask anyone for a loan thanks to the digital grapevine), but this place is perfect and "when opportunity knocks..."

Last edited:

you can try taking the PSU cover (Power OFF and unplugged of Course) and with care you can oil the fan bearing you may need something like a meat injector or suringe to get the oil where needed. I'd use machine oil or WD-40 Silocone lubricant or similar. It will only work temporarily but may give you enough time and you can redo as needed. But be aware that this isn't cure the fan will eventually fail and needs to be replaced as soon as you are able.
Good luck with this and the move.
This you tube site may be of help.
P.S.
The problem with taping a fan to the outside is you have all the restrictions of the old fan blades etc and it may not pull enough air to cool the needed parts. beside unless you cut the power to the internal fan you will still have the noise.

Other option have you asked around or looked some people have old Computer or PSU's that they would be willing to give away and you could recycle a fan from one of those. Can't tell you how many old Desktop case with power supplies I've see around here that have been simply discarded and no longer wanted by anyone. Check with computer shops/recycle centers, etc.

Last edited:
two possible problems, if its that bad the fan will give up and the psu will overheat and burn out the second [only seen a couple of cases in 40 yrs] as the psu burns out it internally shorts and sends too much power the the Mother board and drives and takes them out with it..
If its in a tower or desktop , they are usually easy to get to and swap out, if you do it yourself just make sure the one you get as a replacement has at least the same wattage a bit higher would be beneficial as it wont have to work as hard.

The cheapest replacement is 1k ZAR which may not seem a lot
Sounds bloody expensive to me [ arf a ton {£50-00}] unless its a new 1000 Wat one.
have you looked on gumtree ZA e-bay ZA or bidorbuy ZA ?

you can try taking the PSU cover (Power OFF and unplugged of Course) and with care you can oil the fan bearing you may need something like a meat injector or suringe to get the oil where needed.

That's what I'd attempt.

I add to it this:

Unplug the device's power cord and then hit the power button on your computer a couple of times to make sure you've drained any capacitors.

After that, you can work on it - while wearing the proper anti-static connection and even removing it from the case to work on it more easily.

That's what I'd attempt.

I add to it this:

Unplug the device's power cord and then hit the power button on your computer a couple of times to make sure you've drained any capacitors.

After that, you can work on it - while wearing the proper anti-static connection and even removing it from the case to work on it more easily.
Good point about discharging the caps :)

Good point about discharging the caps :)

It's something I'd do out of habit, but I don't know if other people have similar habits. So, I figured I'd tack it on.

Then again, these days it's pretty unlikely that I'll even open a case for anything. I'm getting pretty lazy in some areas as I age.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Think I'm gonna go with @kc1di's suggestion on harvesting a replacement fan (I'm a fan -- pun intended -- of recycling and I may get use out of the old case since I saw some mods of old cream towers). TBH transplanting never even occurred to me, lol. I often do an ant-Occam's Razor: "most elaborate solution = best solution". I did try squirting some of my hair trimmer's oil in ages ago, but seeing that vid, I derped it. I didn't work it much, just spun it once in one direction. I see there's more technique and that I may not have used enough.
@KGIII, good tip on the power button. I didn't think of that, yet I touch a piece of metal before even putting a RAM module into the mother board _o
@brickwizard Yeah, prices for hardware out here are evil. The 1k PSU I mentioned is a 650w and it's only a white 80+. We have one supplier fighting the obvious price fixing, but they're only able to compete with international prices with certain products at certain times. Right now, they've managed to pull their video card and SSD prices down and they're doing some custom laptops from unbranded barebones, but they're limited by global scarcity and import duties, etc. Most products average 10-20% cheaper than others (Ryzen 3600 was 4k from them, 4.5k from everywhere else when I did this build). Welcome to RSA, lol. We do have did have nice weather :shrug:

Last edited:
And good luck with the move, James.

Hope you don't need any ;)

Chris

Members online

Latest posts