Meta Master

Reaction score
Credits
My disc-booted 64-bit Puppy Linux 8.0 is not detecting my computer's wireless network interface. The wireless network interface does run fine with my computer's installed Ubuntu operating system. Puppy Linux is only detecting my eth0 ethernet.

Puppy Linux's terminal revealed my network module should be iwlwifi, but Puppy Linux still insists "No new interfaces were detected" when loading that network module via the Puppy Linux's Network Wizard.

This is a Latitude 4320 laptop.

There is no bad sector on my hard disk.

My partitions are a FAT32 512M sda1, an extended 238G sda2, and a Linux 238G sda5.

sda1 had 0 bad blocks/errors.
sda2 had 0 bad blocks/errors.
sda5 had 0 bad blocks/errors.

Info found via a Puppy Linux terminal scan for bad blocks.

You are probably going to have to determine exactly which wireless card is in your PC and then check to see if it is supported under Linux.

I cannot remember the exact commands to determine this but here are a few which may be helpful;
Bash:
inxi -Fxz
Bash:
iwconfig
Bash:
lsusb
Bash:
lspci
Bash:
 lspci | grep -i network
Bash:
rfkill list
Bash:
lshw -short

You are probably going to have to determine exactly which wireless card is in your PC and then check to see if it is supported under Linux.

I cannot remember the exact commands to determine this but here are a few which may be helpful;
Bash:
inxi -Fxz
Bash:
iwconfig
Bash:
lsusb
Bash:
lspci
Bash:
 lspci | grep -i network
Bash:
rfkill list
Bash:
lshw -short
wlp2s0 is my network card (I found this out during a gentoo installation on this laptop).

All of your commands exclusively convey information for lo and eth0, but act as if my wireless card does not exist.

My wlan is also not soft blocked or hard blocked.

wlp2s0 is my network card
That is the interface but NOT the actual card manufacturer.

All of your commands exclusively convey information for lo and eth0, but act as if my wireless card does not exist.
Well, as I said, I cannot remember the exact commands. But I intended to provide you with a possible hint or two with which to start your troubleshooting. Without the actual hardware in front of me it does not make sense for me to spend time looking for an answer. Only you can provide the answers to our questions :)

This Arch thread is a good source especially if one expounds and expands upon it.

I have run Puppy off and on for years and have always had good luck with it.
But I think one of the absolute worst answers to any question on any Linux forum is "works for me".
So I refuse to give that response.

I really think it sounds like your wireless card/chip-set is not recognized by Puppy or the Linux kernel.
That is why it would help to know exactly what wireless card/chip-set it is.

That is the interface but NOT the actual card manufacturer.

Well, as I said, I cannot remember the exact commands. But I intended to provide you with a possible hint or two with which to start your troubleshooting. Without the actual hardware in front of me it does not make sense for me to spend time looking for an answer. Only you can provide the answers to our questions :)

This Arch thread is a good source especially if one expounds and expands upon it.

I have run Puppy off and on for years and have always had good luck with it.
But I think one of the absolute worst answers to any question on any Linux forum is "works for me".
So I refuse to give that response.

I really think it sounds like your wireless card/chip-set is not recognized by Puppy or the Linux kernel.
That is why it would help to know exactly what wireless card/chip-set it is.
when I type ip link into Ubuntu's terminal on this same laptop, the third option which is not listed in Puppy Linux using the same command, is:
Code:
3: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000

Gentoo and Ubuntu both use the "new style" of network interface naming. This naming convention comes from systemd init. Puppy is different. Puppy showed you "eth0" for you ethernet. If Puppy had detected your wireless, it would have showed you "wlan0" -- so Puppy does not see your wireless.

Use this command (in Ubuntu) that @Vrai provided:
Code:
inxi -Fxz

It will show you many things, including your wireless adapter, the real hardware name.

Gentoo and Ubuntu both use the "new style" of network interface naming. This naming convention comes from systemd init. Puppy is different. Puppy showed you "eth0" for you ethernet. If Puppy had detected your wireless, it would have showed you "wlan0" -- so Puppy does not see your wireless.

Use this command (in Ubuntu) that @Vrai provided:
Code:
inxi -Fxz

It will show you many things, including your wireless adapter, the real hardware name.
Initially skipped that command as it didn't run on Puppy Linux. Required installation.

the output of that command under Network was:

Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Dell driver: e1000e
v: 3.2.6-k port: f080 bus ID: 00:19.0
IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel
port: f040 bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>

Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
Bingo! That is your hardware wireless adapter. :)

With that, maybe @darry1966 or @Vrai or some other skilled Puppy person will be able to help. I am quite out of my league with how Puppy works. But, maybe I can provide a head start:

This article is quite old, but it discusses installing a driver for your Intel wireless device in Puppy. In that article, there is a link to this article where the driver is still available for download (.pet file).

Keep in mind these articles are quite old, so the driver may or may not work.

Other options may be to change the kernel, or to try a different version of Puppy altogether. Barry Kauler, the original developer of Puppy Linux, has a new project called Easy OS that might also interest you. It's like Puppy (very small), but different. :)

Puppy Linux's terminal revealed my network module should be iwlwifi, but Puppy Linux still insists "No new interfaces were detected" when loading that network module via the Puppy Linux's Network Wizard.
And to correct myself from earlier, this does seems like Puppy sees your wireless, but it is not loading the driver and creating the network interface for use. If it would have worked correctly and created the interface, it would have been named wlan0.

And to correct myself from earlier, this does seems like Puppy sees your wireless, but it is not loading the driver and creating the network interface for use. If it would have worked correctly and created the interface, it would have been named wlan0.
The full network output was with Ubuntu, not Puppy; meanwhile I am unsure how much Puppy actually sees beyond revealing my network module should be iwlwifi after spamming a few info commands.

Bingo! That is your hardware wireless adapter. :)

With that, maybe @darry1966 or @Vrai or some other skilled Puppy person will be able to help. I am quite out of my league with how Puppy works. But, maybe I can provide a head start:

This article is quite old, but it discusses installing a driver for your Intel wireless device in Puppy. In that article, there is a link to this article where the driver is still available for download (.pet file).

Keep in mind these articles are quite old, so the driver may or may not work.

Other options may be to change the kernel, or to try a different version of Puppy altogether. Barry Kauler, the original developer of Puppy Linux, has a new project called Easy OS that might also interest you. It's like Puppy (very small), but different. :)
There are multiple iwl firmwares inside of Puppy such as the one linked in that article. Not all of them actually load into the Network Wizard for Puppy and I do not know how to force them to. The ones that do load into the Network Wizard do not work.

Bigpup just posted....
RE: Latitude E6430 - Wireless Connection

There is a slide wifi switch located on the right side of the computer. You can slide forward or back to enable/disable.
By laptop features image. Looks like it is next to the optical drive slot.

Puppy could be booting with wifi disabled until you use this switch.
May have to move it off than back to on.

Understand something about Puppy Linux.
A 300MB OS can not have every possible hardware support file needed by every possible computer.
It does for a lot of the common hardware, but not everything.
Thus we may have to figure out what the hardware is and guide you on getting the needed software to add to Puppy.
WIFI hardware is usually the hardware missing support software.
Way to many different WIFI devices out in the world of computers.

Hang in there, it will be worked out.

Sorry for the rather blunt way he communicates - hope this gets resolved.

It is possible with modern Pups to swap kernels using from terminal change_kernels
You simply swap for an older or newer series 5 kernel.

Members online