Putting my money where my mouth is. Windows 10 vs Linux challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisisjay

Reaction score
Credits
I have asserted that Windows will outperform any distro of Linux in terms of speed, functionality,usability, compatibility, and reliability. I heard from many Linux “apologists” in my last post claiming that Windows was junk and Linux was the “it just works” OS. There were also people saying that Linux was superior to Windows on older hardware. Rather than go by my past experiences let’s just do an experiment. I’ll describe my hardware and then perform tasks in both Windows 10 Lite(I don’t even trust MS without a condom) and whatever distro and version of Linux you guys suggest. I will write up my overall experience setting up and using each OS and then run some functionality and informal speed tests.

My Hardware:

Lenovo 2-in-1 Ideapad TOUCH Yoga 11s Intel i5-4210Y, 256GB SSD,4GB RAM

Both the Wifi and Bluetooth have failed so I have dongles for that functionality.

This is a touchscreen fold every direction type laptop.

I just have it connected to a 50” monitor via HDMI

The functionality and ease of use I will test for is:

Able to connect to and use bluetooth and WiFi(ability to disable the internal devices once I verify that they don’t work in Linux)

Ability to confirm that all of my drivers(video, chipset, accelerometer, etc. are installed and correct as needed)

Installing basic software such as a web browser, Bittorrent client, media player(probably Kodi), and remote desktop client.

Test speed and functionality of installed software, ability to print, and access my Windows and Raspberry Pi devices over the network.

The screen orientation flipping and maybe the touchscreen functionality are one of those things that just work in Windows, but may take hours and yield no results in Linux. I don’t use this laptop that way anymore so it doesn’t really matter, but it would be evidence that Linux IS up to the challenge if that functionality could be maintained without huge amounts of hassle.

Moved to off-topic.

How do you propose to install Linux?

I wouldn't put too much stock in their results. They appear to not really know what they're doing and expect the same (or even comparable) results in method among others. For something like this, you'd want the person testing to be fluent in both operating systems, which the OP is decidedly not.

They are just trolling. I've left it up because the last thread would be informative for new users who are curious about the benefits of running Linux. We'll see where this one goes and moderate the user, not the discussion. (At least that's my plan of action. I'll be gone later in the day, so feel free to do what you gotta do should the need arise.)

I don't use Linux because it is faster, better supported and with better applications, I use it despite the fact it is not all the above... because it is good in theory, I have a theory, so I don't care for the results of your challenge

popcorn-eating-emoticon.gif

I use Peppermint on a Dual Lap/Touchscreen Dell Inspirion 11.5 ALL DRIVERS work. Bluetooth, WiFi, The touch screen I did not do anything extra. It had Window 10 which took almost 2 minutes to fully load. Peppermint is running 20 seconds after boot.

I have had no issues. When I got tired of waiting on Windows I installed Peppermint saying to myself that I do not really use the touch screen so....yet it works just fine. The HDMI out to a TV works, as I watch Buckeye football for the last 2 seasons on a larger non smart flatscreen TV.

Peppermint with Mint Stick also recovered a Windows 10 recovery USB drive that even Windows could not reformat.

I wouldn't put too much stock in their results. They appear to not really know what they're doing and expect the same (or even comparable) results in method among others. For something like this, you'd want the person testing to be fluent in both operating systems, which the OP is decidedly not.

They are just trolling. I've left it up because the last thread would be informative for new users who are curious about the benefits of running Linux. We'll see where this one goes and moderate the user, not the discussion. (At least that's my plan of action. I'll be gone later in the day, so feel free to do what you gotta do should the need arise.)
I offer to make an honest effort and you basically say that it won't work because I don't know what I'm doing.....and then call me a troll......and you are a staff member!

You take a teachable moment and skull f**k it. You're a joke! Everything you stand for is a joke! Have fun with that.
idiot.jpg

Looks like the OP folded!

That goes back to my "version of Windows that makes sense for the hardware". This being an older laptop, Windows 11 wouldn't make sense. I have other computers that can run Windows 11, but I choose not to due to bad experiences with Windows 11. I may try Windows 11 Lite on one of those machines in the future. I did also try many distros of Linux on the newer computers and they all had deal breaking issues.

Who cares Apple/Mac, Linux, Windows use what works for you and others who are going to use your computers.

Agree to disagree and let it be.

Op should expect resistance to his proposal since this is a Linux forum and most of us long ago left the windows fold for various reasons. It bee 22 year since i use windows to any degree and most of us would not wish to go back to the high priced system even if you exhibited proof that it's faster. Also you should use which ever OS you choose that the thing about Linux landscape you and I have choices and I like that choose which ever works for you but don't try convince me that windows is better than Linux is simply is not and hasn't been for many years. The reason it has so much market share is that most of the Hardware companies were economically tied to MS. I appreciate your freedom to say and do what you want, But your not going to convince many of us that we should return to Windows even if you prove your points. Cheers try to remain civil and do what's best for you.

That goes back to my "version of Windows that makes sense for the hardware". This being an older laptop, Windows 11 wouldn't make sense. I have other computers that can run Windows 11, but I choose not to due to bad experiences with Windows 11. I may try Windows 11 Lite on one of those machines in the future. I did also try many distros of Linux on the newer computers and they all had deal breaking issues.
I should make what I was saying more clear I know that windows preforms better on most games and benchmarks so it has its place for gaming but it does have its limits with older hardware with the windows 11 release. My point being that in most cases the chain is as strong as its weakest link and if the new flagship for Microsoft cant run on a 10 year old PC with a gpu upgrade what benefit is it for someone not to use a recent version of Linux that with wine can run windows program that are only supported on windows 11 after a few years well than what is the benefit of windows 10 you can run programs negatively well not if a new feature is added and windows 10 doesn't get the update for it but Linux and wine most likely will get a update or packages allowing it to work.

Oh boy people who get on a Linux forum to kick the guts out of Linux - pointless. I'll just keep using Linux and enjoying it as an every day useful for browsing, watching videos and doing what I need to do.

What I also love is this community forum learning more about Linux - which is what this forum is for - what I dislike is Linux vs Windows threads as it is a tired argument that I have seen played out in many threads over the years. Fact is I have used Windows which I find can be very useful and an Apple Phone and an Apple Ipad - all have their usefulness when required. At the end of the day enjoy Linux and learning more about it and also the joy of overcoming the challenges that arise from time to time.

I like to say away from the negative side of things. Lastly the Positive interactions with others here that make this forum a great place to hang out and as a place where people who are starting out can come and get help and grow in their understanding of the Linux system - cos I know it has helped me many times in the past. Thanks for the help to those here in the past who have done that.

Well, as I expected, OP is a troll and lacks the skills to do any of this sort of stuff. (OP has previously admitted they'e trolling and this thread is just a continuation of that.)

I'm locking the thread.

Continued trolling will result in a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts