Question about gdebi, transmision and unzip

J

jbander

Where does gdebi put the file after it is opened and where is it after gdebi extracts it, same question for .gz after it is unzipped where does the file go and same with transmission. also
After the .deb file is opened does it lose the .deb after the end of the file name and again same with .gz . After the torrent file is opened is it named the same without the .torrent at the end of it.
Is their a way to find these files after opening and extracting and unzipping with the use of a program. My terminal isn't finding the opened gdebi files or the unzipped .gz file

I don't know if I can answer this question fully and properly but will have a go.

When I download a .deb it goes to my Home to a folder called Downloads. I can install that with Gdebi. Where it goes depends on what kind of file it is. To some extent you need to know about Linux File Hierarchy e.g.
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/linux-file-system-structure/

When Gdebi has worked the .deb remains in Downloads, but otherwise it is installed into the File System Structure.

I can use two commands, which are quite useful, "whereis" and "which". I have downloaded e.g. Skype .deb and used Gdebi. If I do "whereis skype" it says skype: /usr/bin/skype /usr/share/skype It tells me all the locations Skype has gone to. "which" will tell me just the executable. Handy if you want to run a program. So, if I do "which skype" it says just
"/usr/bin/skype".

.gz is just compressed file - like tar.gz or .tgz . When it is uncompressed it can be any sort of file, even a .deb. With these there is quite often a ReadMe file or similar. It is always useful to look at that. I have quite often just uncompressed into Downloads, although that is probably wrong and things work from there.

A Torrent is just a useful means of downloading files. Generally a Torrent takes longer than a normal download, but a Torrent can be interrupted, it can be stopped, the computer can be powered off altogether but it can be resumed. Whereas, if a normal download is interrupted all is lost and cannot be restarted. Again different sorts of files can be sent by this means.

This is what I type in terminal and it's response-------
jon@jon-System-Product-Name ~/Downloads $ gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz
gzip: linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1 already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? y

It seems to be there, so then I type find or whereis linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1.gz and i get just this"linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1:"' Tells me nothing. I don't know where any of these files are going .deb files .gz and torrent files. gdebi doesn't ask you where you want it or where it is and unzip doesn't either for .gz files.
They aren't opening in the file that it starts in.
Let me add to the confusion.My fox downloads go to firefox downloads but not to /home/jon/Downloads. I have two files in ?home/jon/Downloads and 7 in Firefox downloads.

http://linux.die.net/Linux-CLI/using-filesystem.html

.deb files are software packages so when you open it in gdebi the files are places in different places on the file system depending on the package. For example if you install firefox from a .deb you will find the actual executable at /usr/bin/firefox but the package may also place files in /etc or /usr/lib or anywhere it needs to. You really don't need to know where the files are unless problems occur but that is unlikely.

When you extracted the .tgz file it was extracted to the same location as the archive. The extracted files are at ~/Downloads/linux-bprinter-installer-2.0.0-1
Code:
sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter-installer-2.0.0-1
Have you use ls in the ~/Downloads folder?

Do you have a graphical interface that you can browse your home folder in? If so that will make things so much easier.

Last edited:
What I was trying to do is install drivers for a Brother printer and scanner. The way it told me to do it wasn't working.(I tried many many times) if you use the terminal to use the deb or 'gz file you need to know what file it is in after it is opened or unzipped and find and whereis didn't help with where it was put. LS was telling me the file was where it was suppose to be but when I put it in the terminal /home/jon/Downloads it said there was no such file.
Ad that with the fact that when I downloaded in firefox it went into firefox/tools/downloads but wouldn't show in /home/jon/Downloads and kept on telling me that it didn't exist.
I pulled every downloaded item in every file I could find and then it worked I then directed them to desktop instead ,but I haven't done any more 'gz or torrence or .deb's so I will will see.
If you can see a error that I don't seem to understand please advise. I will check out all of these things later but at this point I think one of the downloaded file made something happen and got resolved when I pulled all the downloaded files I had on the computer.

Members online