Question about partitioning SDD after OS is installed

Ok, here is where I am now and I am about to try and install.
Screenshot from 2018-09-16 03-14-31.png

This screen is different to usual, but see how you go.

Did you not choose Something else this time around? This approach appears to be trying to put an ESP on /dev/sda2, and you have a separate home partition, but that does not matter.

I'll be close by. And let me know if you got the GParted Live disk/usb up and going.

Back soon

Wiz

This screen is different to usual, but see how you go.

Did you not choose Something else this time around? This approach appears to be trying to put an ESP on /dev/sda2, and you have a separate home partition, but that does not matter.

I'll be close by. And let me know if you got the GParted Live disk/usb up and going.

Back soon

Wiz
I chose something else and reformatted the partition w/ the previous LM installation on it to "/", the installer would not let me move forward so I created at 300 mb EFI partition, a 30 GB /home and 16 GB swap. This time I could boot up and so far it is running (still downloading the updates). I have not tried to boot from the SSD as of yet.

No that's fine, main thing is getting a work base going :)

When we get your Mint Cinnamon up and running, and before we try anything with the Manjaro, the best options to follow through with will be to
  1. Enable your firewall and
  2. Make the acquaintance of Timeshift so that you can roll back your system should things head south for the winter.
Chris

Just taking a look at your time it might be 12:05am. Have a Sunday sleep-in and we can come back fresh if you want.

OK, updates still processing. When I save the timeshift do I need to anything special?

Firewall first - Terminal can be launched with Ctrl-Alt-t

Code:
sudo ufw enable

You'll be prompted for your password, enter it (there is no movement, security) and Enter. You will be rewarded with a message saying that your firewall has been enabled (real time, no need to re-boot) and that it will run with each startup or reboot.

Timeshift

On Mint, GParted should be already installed, under Menu - Administration. Use it to set up a partition which will be allocated /dev/sda5 of maybe 100GB to begin with. You can always shrink that or grow that later as need be, but I would place it at the end of the Seagate. Where you get an option with 3 fields to have space before, the size of the new partition and space after

Slow down and don't get too far ahead. I'll come back with more in a minute, follow the start of what I say above :)

Where you get an option with 3 fields to have space before, the size of the new partition and space after...

... you would have Zero, 102,400 and Zero for example.

Label it Timeshift, and apply the changes.

When you launch Timeshift, leave as the default Rsync. Btrfs (pron. "butter fuss" is not on your system, but you can Wikipedia it if you want to read).

Choose Next and then choose your new /dev/sda5, then Close the Wizard, you will have a blank screen (being a first time, you might get Timeshift estimating snapshot size, it wants to default to your /dev/sda1 / root but we won't do that).

Choose settings and for now, remove any check marks under schedule for timed snapshots, this will be on demand, represented by an O. Under location, check that it is /dev/sda5.

Under Users, choose include all for both Jeffrey and Root

Just noted your new Post, hope you've got it all??

Got it, the only thing I didn't do correctly was to move /dev/sda5 to the end of the drive. Can I just change the free space preceding to the amount of available free space?

Sure can :). Aah, enthusiasm, I remember that, 3 millennium ago :rolleyes:

In doing so, you don't hem it in, surrounded by other Linux that might constrict it from needed expansion. You might also want to set up eg a /dev/sda6 also towards the end, for say "Data" storage, your call - then you can just add Linux in the unallocated space between them.

Sure can :). Aah, enthusiasm, I remember that, 3 millennium ago :rolleyes:

In doing so, you don't hem it in, surrounded by other Linux that might constrict it from needed expansion. You might also want to set up eg a /dev/sda6 also towards the end, for say "Data" storage, your call - then you can just add Linux in the unallocated space between them.

Definite enthusiasm! I've been wanting to learn this for years!

Just unmount it and you can move it.

You'll note that where you had little padlocks before in GParted, here you have little keys, perhaps. These icons represent that a partition is mounted.

Members online

Latest posts