Question about running program shortcuts (Ubuntu 20.04)

MSMM

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I'm using ubuntu 20.04 and put program shortcuts (".desktop") on the desktop and allowed them to run.

I created a folder inside the deskop and I need to throw these shortcuts into it. When I do this, the shortcuts do not work and there is no option to allow execution. Then they open with a text editor. How to allow a program shortcut to be executed in a folder located on the desktop?

Thanks

In order for a program on the desktop to run it has to have a desktop entry.

I can't really explain it any other way but to show you by an example.

A long time ago I was running a program called bd.desktop.
The only way I could get the program to run from the desktop shortcut I had to create a desktop entry.

Make this file in NANO or some other text editor with the exact PATH to the program.
/home/zebracat/.local/share/applications/bd.desktop

and place this entry in it for the Applications Menu-

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Bible Desktop
Exec=/home/zebracat/Downloads/bibledesktop-1.6/BibleDesktop.sh
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/Reference.xpm
Type=Application
Categories=Education

So unless I'm mistaken, you would have to create a desktop entry to the shortcut and the exact PATH to it including the folder that it's in so it can launch when you want to run that program.

In order for a program on the desktop to run it has to have a desktop entry.

I can't really explain it any other way but to show you by an example.

A long time ago I was running a program called bd.desktop.
The only way I could get the program to run from the desktop shortcut I had to create a desktop entry.

Make this file in NANO or some other text editor with the exact PATH to the program.
/home/zebracat/.local/share/applications/bd.desktop

and place this entry in it for the Applications Menu-

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Bible Desktop
Exec=/home/zebracat/Downloads/bibledesktop-1.6/BibleDesktop.sh
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/Reference.xpm
Type=Application
Categories=Education

So unless I'm mistaken, you would have to create a desktop entry to the shortcut and the exact PATH to it including the folder that it's in so it can launch when you want to run that program.

Hi,

On the desktop I know it works, however, if I have one folder on the desktop, called "Mechanical Programs", for example ... if I throw the shortcut to it, it won't open anymore, it no longer has the option to allow execution like has in the desktop.

I need this because I will create several folders on the desktop and each one will be for certain types of programs. One folder for mechanical programs, another for electrical programs, others for development, etc. In each of these folders I would like to put shortcuts. When the shortcuts are on the desktop they run perfectly, but when I put them in those folders that are inside the desktop, they don't run, and they don't have the "Allow Launching" option that exists on the desktop.

Thanks

Again w/o the desktop entry for each program and the path to it (folder you have the program in on the desktop) the program probably won't launch.

I don't know any other way to do this but what I've shared with you already, sorry.

Maybe our Moderator: Wizardfromoz will have other suggestions.

Members online