Question about which flavour or build is most suitable

35wailin

Reaction score
Credits
I have a 15 year old toshiba laptop that is slower than mollasses in January. It is currently running Winders Vista, so obviously no updates are available, not that they would help. It has an Intel Core 2 T5200 CPU @1.6GHz with 1G of RAM.

I would like to only play videos on it using VLC.

That being said, what flavour and or build is reccomended

manjaro xfce

For people who want a reliable and fast desktop

This edition is supported by the Manjaro team and comes with XFCE, a reliable desktop with high configurability.

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. Xfce embodies the traditional UNIX philosophy of modularity and re-usability. It consists of a number of components that provide the full functionality one can expect of a modern desktop environment. They are packaged separately and you can pick among the available packages to create the optimal personal working environment.

Manjaro is one of my faves, and Xfce desktop environment (DE) one of those, as seen below, with my Grub Menu

0QB0Fjq.jpg

Following are the minimum System requirements for Manjaro Linux 17.05:
  • 1 GB RAM.
  • 1 GHz Processor.
  • 30 GB free hard disk size.
  • Bootable media ( ISO, DVD &s USB drive)
  • Internet Connection (Optional)

This is 2 years old, so 1GB RAM may be pushing it. There are others we can recommend if need be.

If you live near where a "computer swap meet" is held or conducted, you may be able to purchase a little more RAM.

Cheers and welcome to linux.org :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts