Question: Access denied /usr/sbin/ldm list-bindings -p

J

JNolan68

I am new to Linux and trying to run the following command with a non root/privileged user but, get access denied: /usr/sbin/ldm list-bindings -p
The Linux server does not have SUDO installed nor are than any plans to install SUDO.
Would it be possible to grant the non root/privileged user additional permissions to execute /usr/sbin/ldm list-bindings -p using chmod or will it require sudo chmod?

Thank you
JNolan68

I am new to Linux and trying to run the following command with a non root/privileged user but, get access denied: /usr/sbin/ldm list-bindings -p
The Linux server does not have SUDO installed nor are than any plans to install SUDO.
Would it be possible to grant the non root/privileged user additional permissions to execute /usr/sbin/ldm list-bindings -p using chmod or will it require sudo chmod?

Thank you
JNolan68
Without sudo installed, you would need root access to run the ldm command, or any other root level command. You would either have to log in as root, and enter the root password, or if logged in as a normal user, you would execute the command `su`, (Super User or root) and then enter the root password. Once logged in as 'root' or 'su', then no need to use chmod. (I would not recommend altering the permissions or ownership of any root level command!)

I get the impression you do not have access to the root password. If that is the case, you need to talk to the person acting as the system administrator for the server.

I personally do not like sudo either, and prefer to always use su instead.

The preferred method is definitely to run as root (as rstanley mentioned). I am not sure what user group is required by default to use ldm but you may be able to setup a user group and give anyone in that group access to the command. But since this is dealing with disks and partitions it probably is not a good idea.

Thank you rstanley and ryanvade for your replies.

If the root user were to output the results of the /usr/sbin/ldm list-bindings -p to a file in the root /usr/sbin directory, could the root user then use chmod on the output file to grant my user permission to read/parse the file?

Thank you,
JNolan68

/usr/sbin and all the other various .../bin directories are for storing all the executable apps and shell scripts for the Linux system. Output from these executables should not be stored here.

Since root needs to write this output file from the ldm command, there is no reason why the output cannot be written to, for example, your /home/jnolan home directory. (Or whatever user needs to see and use this output.) root then could call 'chown', NOT 'chmod' to change the Owner, and Group to the owner of the directory being written to. You don't want files in your home directory owned by root, that the regular user cannot change/move/delete.

Members online