Questions about customizing a Linux kernel

Valiant Orange

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I have three questions about the Linux kernel/capabilities of menuconfig:

1. Is remote desktop access a physical part of the Linux kernel code which other programs access, or is remote desktop access something added to the Linux kernel by other programs?

2. If it is a part of the kernel, can it be completely disabled through menuconfig?

3. Similarly, is systemd hard-written into the kernel or can it be swapped out (during the menuconfig process) for initv?

Thank you for your answers!

I do not believe that remote desktop is part of the kernel in menuconfig you can search and see if it is listed.

Systemd is not part of the kernel and can be replaced by another init system.

1. The X11 System is somewhat different to a windows desktop and I would say in a practical manner its not that easy to uninstall it. But of course you can disable a remote desktop access. The usual daemons for this purpose are VNC and uncommon but as far as i know possible, is RDP. Both are in general not activated on default. Whats activated is X11 Forwarding in the SSH protocol -> /etc/ssh/sshd_config and there look for X11 forwarding and restrict it. Whit "sudo netstat -tulpn" you see all daemons listening on tcp/udp ports - if these daemons are deactivated its also not possible to access them.

3. There are also Linuy with other init systems than systemd. Devuan for example is a Debian distro based on SysV. Also AntiX is without systemd. But the systemd-free system I like the most is clearly alpine linux - if you want invest some time and learn the basics its a great distro with a bunch of tutorials. But that comes at the price of no preinstalled desktop and in general a minimalistic approach (eg the VM Image runs <256MB RAM and the iso is just 32MB :) )

I am not sure if the OP (original poster) is actually shopping for a Distro.

But if you wish to try both systemd and sysvinit as a comparison on the one Distro, then I would suggest you can't go past

MX-18 or its prior versions MX-16 and MX-17

It allows for you to choose from Advanced Options at startup which one you use.

I have had it in my stable (I run about 70 Linux) since MX-15, and it goes to every computer with me.

All versions still support 32-bit, and non-PAE was supported up until and including MX-16. MX-16 will continue to be supported as long as Debian support Jessie, so the site says.

The memory usage is right down low, comparable with Linux Lite, LXLE and Peach OSI Bare Bones, at around 400MB or less at rest, plus it is far more feature-rich than some of the alternatives.

Cheers all. it's Friday in Oz, so

Enjoy your Linux and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Edited - added BTW

BTW you can read about the systemd - sysvinit bit here https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd

mal-2 and wizardfromoz, thank you for your replies.

mal-2: You mention X11. Is this built into the kernel (and therefore removable in menuconfig)? From that, am I right to conclude that remote access (as a feature of the kernel) is primarily built into X11 functionality?

wizardfromoz: I want to try completing an LFS build, using a customized kernel with very limited functionality. I know how to remove most of what I don't want through menuconfig but have never found a clear explanation of how remote access (a a whole) works in Linux, or how it can be removed if it isn't needed.

For the benefit of The Viewers - LFS is Linux From Scratch - http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

G'day "Orange" - :D

I understand, but it is beyond my paygrade, as yet. I got as far as downloading an LFS book, but with my other commitments I have not had the time to follow through.

Good luck

Wizard

Orange, to be honest I think the kernel is way above your abilities at this point and you should focus more on learning the OS and how it is put together so you'll understand the kernel and what is and isn't included a lot better. You're going about this sdrawkcabssa.

I can tell you from experience that building a slimline kernel not knowing how the OS works and is put together will cost you more time than learning the OS and working inwards from there.

mal-2 and wizardfromoz, thank you for your replies.

mal-2: You mention X11. Is this built into the kernel (and therefore removable in menuconfig)? From that, am I right to conclude that remote access (as a feature of the kernel) is primarily built into X11 functionality?

You can somewhat express it in this way I guess. For Xorg/X11 its not that important through which interface the picture gets transmitted and x11 is just the server. But here its becoming tricky and I cannot say to know every detail. It should for example ne possible to stream an application over ether net into a Gnome Desktop Environment and another instance from the same x11 server over a local linux socat in a KDE Environment. Or to ssh to your desktop computer and open remotely a window in the terminal interface displayed on the desktop. But as sad I'm not to familiar with the details and Xorg its roots are even older than I am.

Latest posts