Questions about hdd and ssd for linux

davidP7

Credits
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about switching to linux full time (manjaro specifically) as I am running it from a 128gb flash drive at the moment and I have fallen in love with it. I originally thought the 128gb flash drive would be sufficient because I wasn't expecting to do any linux gaming, but I have been using linux for even that too. I want to have Manjaro on a permanent drive but I have been spoiled by the ssd-like speeds of the flash drive and cannot afford a high capacity ssd at the moment. Would I be able to buy a cheap (128gb?) ssd and put my operating system on it for the fast boot speeds and have another hdd for my games and stuff ? If I could, how would I be able to do this? I currently have a 2tb hdd for windows and I don't think I am ready to fully get rid of windows yet (I need it for some games and to run a specific game optimally) so I would have to buy another 2tb hdd.
Here is a photo of my drive bay (I think that is what it is called) what additional hardware would I need to buy in order to be able to mount another hdd and an ssd if I am able to have the ssd with my os and hdd for games and other files.

Last edited:

LorenDB

Credits
Ubuntu's installer (I don't know about Manjaro ATM, somebody else will need to explore this for me as I'm too lazy to check it out myself) lets you create partitions for root, /boot, /home, /tmp, /usr, /var, /srv, /opt, and /usr/local. It's also relatively easy to make any of these partition layouts after install. You'll just need to partition your drives how you want, then edit mount points in /etc/fstab or using your partition manager (at least KDE Partition Manager lets me edit mount points, I'm not sure about GParted).

Members online