Queue.bin File Causing Server Crash

vcssupport

Reaction score
Credits
We have a server that keeps crashing, and we believe it may be because of the file /dev/.udev/queue.bin The file keeps growing a few MB a minute to the point the server crashes. We aren't sure how to stop this file from growing, what is causing it to grow, what the file really even is. Any insight or suggestions on what to do to get this issue resolved would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @vcssupport, and welcome to the site!

I'm not much of a server guy, but let me ask, "Debian? RedHat/CentOS? Ubuntu? Other?" I find a little (old) info about a problem like this with Debian that was fixed with a kernel upgrade. So, what version of server and kernel too?

When doing that I get the following over and over:
KERNEL[1509552830.006434] change /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.8/2-1.8:1.0/host7/target7:0:0/7:0:0:0/block/sdc (block)
KERNEL[1509552830.007293] change /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.8/2-1.8:1.0/host7/target7:0:0/7:0:0:0/block/sdc (block)
KERNEL[1509552830.008185] change /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.8/2-1.8:1.0/host7/target7:0:0/7:0:0:0/block/sdc (block)

Only difference is the block next to "KERNEL" changes each time as seen in the 3 instances above.

More wild guesses coming... :D:D

It's all gibberish to me, of course, but I do spot three things in the strings: pci, usb, and sdc (of course, the problem is totally related to dev or udev -- devices -- so not a leap of knowledge here! LOL). But just trying to think it through...

So, are there any peripheral devices that can be unplugged from USB to see if problem goes away? Can you open up the server itself and inspect PCI cards... maybe re-seat them in their sockets? Find any excessive dust inside or other signs (dead fans) that might indicate a heat problem? And then sdc... is that a drive or partition? The partition that is filling up? Is it critical, or can it possibly be reformatted or replaced?

And lastly, is a kernel upgrade out of the question?

Thats where I was thinking as well, however looking at the system there is no sdc only sda for the root directory and then sdb for storage. There is a USB we found that may be causing this issue. We are waiting to hear back from the person that sets up our servers to see what exactly it is for as it says to not remove it. I will let you know what we find from there. Currently a kernel upgrade is out of the question as this is at a remote site.

Okay, remote location tends to rule out looking inside the box too. I know kernel upgrades can bring their own problems too, but finding that as a fix for openSUSE and Debian gave it a possible nudge, in my mind. Oh well... you know... just my wild guessing! :confused::D

It makes sense that the USB could be sdc then, and it appeared to be the "target" of all the activity. Hopefully the setup person will have more info, and maybe a solution for you.

You might try (if you haven't already) going through the SLES Knowledgebase (https://www.suse.com/support/). I only gave a quick look there, but if you can focus the search you may find more clues.

Yanked out the backup drive and that stopped the messages so hopefully problem solved on this one. If the server locks up I will let you know as it will probably be something else causing it at this point. Thanks for all of your help.

OK, I hope that's it! It's fun to make me scratch my head a bit! (It all helps to learn a little more.) :D

Cheers

Staff online

Members online