RAID 0 Dual boot. Help! "minimal bash-like line editing is supported (continues...)" Error at startup.

frza

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! So I need some help. I am trying to dual boot windows/ubuntu on a raid 0 BIOS machine. I have 2 SSD's in RAID 0. Windows was working fine but I had to do the partitioning when installing ubuntu manually. I very likely could have done it wrong. The installer failed when almost done, and now I just have this message at first boot: "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions." I also cannot boot to a live USB for some reason. - I based my ubuntu installation off this: https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1404-dual-boot-mode-windows-8-81-uefi/

I tried a few tutorials and they are all like this: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-t...ine-editing-is-supported-grub-error-in-linux/ - The commands are not working. I cannot boot to live usb so I cannot update GRUB. It also says sudo is not there (not a command).

In the BIOS under boot options it doesn't show either installation, just the RAID 0 disk I made. This could just be my bios I guess.

So what do I do? I just have the GRUB command line right now. I do not think it's my live USB.

Thanks.

I also cannot boot to a live USB for some reason.

That's going to be important, as this will likely need a full install. You can't boot to the same USB you used to install Linux?

What brand computer do you have?

Welcome to the forums

If it is a Windows machine, does it have windows quick-start, if so this will need to be disabled in the BIOS and the machine re-booted before you try and install Linux
Also did you remove the pen-drive after installing and before re-booting

That's going to be important, as this will likely need a full install. You can't boot to the same USB you used to install Linux?

What brand computer do you have?
No I can't boot with anything. It just goes to the GRUB command line. I think if I disabled the RAID 0 and enabled it again i Would be able to boot to the USB, but this would get rid of everything on that RAID 0 disk. - My computer is an old custom built AMD FX-6300.

Welcome to the forums

If it is a Windows machine, does it have windows quick-start, if so this will need to be disabled in the BIOS and the machine re-booted before you try and install Linux
Also did you remove the pen-drive after installing and before re-booting
No my computer is too old for windows quick start. - Like I said, when the installation of ubuntu was installing it crashed so that is also part of my problem.

You should have a key that you can press during the boot process. Pressing that key will bring you to a temporary boot menu where, for that one boot, you can decide which device to push first. It's often F10, F11, Esc, or F2. It varies per OEM.

You should have a key that you can press during the boot process. Pressing that key will bring you to a temporary boot menu where, for that one boot, you can decide which device to push first. It's often F10, F11, Esc, or F2. It varies per OEM.
Yes. I am doing that and it only leads back to the GRUB command line.

AMD FX-6300.
Nice, the 6300 black was cutting edge in its day and is still a fairly good performer,
which distribution are you trying to install

Nice, the 6300 black was cutting edge in its day and is still a fairly good performer,
which distribution are you trying to install
Any ubuntu but especially kubuntu. I know I can change it to KDE afterwards. I have dual booted before but not with RAID.

Yes. I am doing that and it only leads back to the GRUB command line.

That's concerning. At no point should Linux be preventing that. I suppose it could be RAID preventing it, but I've yet to see that happen. Can you at least access the settings menu and then change the boot priority for the time being?

Well when I go to do that in the BIOS it only shows up with my RAID drive (the striped one) there is no individual windows or linux partitions. I am thinking of deleting the raid array and then redoing it or just trying to install it on one drive. I'm sure that would let me go into live usb at least. I would just have to redo everything. Which leads back to my original problem of trying to install ubuntu alongside windows. I couldnt do it because the RAID drive wasnt showing up to dual install ubuntu. - I had to partition it manually and I have never done that before. But it's possible the installer crashing could have caused this as well.

Members online