Credits
- LED/OLED/AMOLED/Super AMOLED
- LCD (e.g. TFT)
- Plasma
- DLP
- SED
- New CRT's
- Any others

Assuming ambient light, settings, distance-to-size ratio e.t.c. are the same; rank the types of monitors generally for health and eyes (combined).

By 'health' I mean which is the least unhealthy for the brain and skin (e.g. In terms of the type of light). By 'eyes' I meant which is the least damaging to eyes.

An example of what I mean by unhealthy light is blue light.

A question could be: Assuming all else is constant (and if different types of monitors generally emit different amounts of blue light); how much blue light do these types of monitors generally emit?

hello, @techdummy and welcome

i have a couple of questions

1. what is the purpose of this exercise?

2. how do you expect that anyone here will have the knowledge to rank the monitor types?

TIA

chris turner
wizardfromoz

hello, @techdummy and welcome

i have a couple of questions

1. what is the purpose of this exercise?

2. how do you expect that anyone here will have the knowledge to rank the monitor types?

TIA

chris turner
wizardfromoz

Dear Chris,

1. I am looking for the health and eye damage of types of monitors to buy one of them.

2. I have been looking at the forums on Linux and users post informative replies.

From experience only, I'd put CRTs at the bottom
and LCDs at the top.

Spent 5 yrs as a GIS Tech and bought one of the first LCDs on the market. (expensive at the time).
Immediately noticed the difference in my eyes. Would stay away from Plasma screens, too.

Screw the numbers, the eyes will tell!

From experience only, I'd put CRTs at the bottom
and LCDs at the top.

Spent 5 yrs as a GIS Tech and bought one of the first LCDs on the market. (expensive at the time).
Immediately noticed the difference in my eyes. Would stay away from Plasma screens, too.

Screw the numbers, the eyes will tell!

I assume you have just used CRT and LCD, but what is your non-experience opinion of the others? And what do you mean by numbers?

Assume all you want! You know the old saying . . .

This may be relevant for you

or this : https://www.preventblindness.org/computers-and-your-eyes

Eye problems caused by computer use fall under the heading computer vision syndrome (CVS). It isn't one specific problem. Instead, it includes a whole range of eye strain and discomfort. Research shows that between 50% and 90% of people who work at a computer screen have at least some symptoms.

NOTE....that the advice shows computer screens as being responsible for various symptoms relating to eye disorders/eye damage etc.....so computer screens in general....not limiting their findings to any one particular screen type. The articles are generally dated between 2016 and 2019.

Last edited:
It's the almost imperceptible flickering and the radiation that computer screens emit (as well as the spectrum of light) that damage eyes (and affect brains).

I do not know about all named types, but would rank what I do know through study and experience
LCD
. . .
LED
Plasma
CRT
in decreasing order of safety. The last two may interchange, but wouldn't sit close to either for extended periods of time, at all.

ASIDE: I was trained as a scientist in Natural Resources and have seen firsthand how numbers, supposedly quantifying Quality, can be manipulated statistically to more closely satisfy what the grantors wanted to see in the 'deliverables.'

It's the almost imperceptible flickering and the radiation that computer screens emit (as well as the spectrum of light) that damage eyes (and affect brains).

I do not know about all named types, but would rank what I do know through study and experience
LCD
. . .
LED
Plasma
CRT
in decreasing order of safety. The last two may interchange, but wouldn't sit close to either for extended periods of time, at all.

ASIDE: I was trained as a scientist in Natural Resources and have seen firsthand how numbers, supposedly quantifying Quality, can be manipulated statistically to more closely satisfy what the grantors wanted to see in the 'deliverables.'

Could you rank the types of LCD (IPS, VA, TN, PLS, PVA, AHVA, AFFS)?

No, @techdummy , we cannot.

Ours is not a site for evaluating and reviewing monitors, computers, or other hardware and peripheral devices. Nor is it a government authority maintaining optical health standards.

You are going to have to do the legwork yourself, or contact a government authority handling such matters.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I don't dare speak of something I know nothing of! Like what I said earlier, the eyes will tell.

Included below are three recent reviews of LCD vs LED. One claims little to no difference, one leans towards LEDs due to better user control of brightness, and one says there is no difference. The one I purchased back in 2000 was the AG Neovo X-19. I paid 300 Y2K dollars for it, for the sake of my eyesight, which was suffering from looking at CRTs eight hours per day, five days a week.

My monitor then had a radiation-reducing screen in addition to being LCD, so relief was evident for me immediately. Engineers peered over my shouilder as I worked, = do to the newness of the technology and their curiosity. Here are the reviews:

LCD vs LED Monitor for Eyes Health & More: Which is better?

Is an LCD or LED Monitor Better for Your Eyes?

Which one is more harmful for the eyes: LCD, LED or CRT TV?

Basically, I'd say it is up to the user to decide. I believe the protective glass covering of the Neovo made a big difference for me, adding to the better inherent eye-friendliness of LED over CRT. Again, this was in 2000.

AG Neovo's newest did not receive the most favorable review. Technologies change; so, too, do the preferences and perceptions of users, over time.

Like most facets of GNU/Linux itself, the choice is yours!

Last edited:
No, @techdummy , we cannot.

Ours is not a site for evaluating and reviewing monitors, computers, or other hardware and peripheral devices. Nor is it a government authority maintaining optical health standards.

You are going to have to do the legwork yourself, or contact a government authority handling such matters.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I have not been able to find anything about the effect of LCD screen types on health/eyes.

Then it is unlikely we can either.

Try the government agencies - Health Department, Technology Department, research "emission standards"

Good luck

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online