Reading data from an externally mounted boot drive

pinkybanditzki

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I have an old system that ran Centos 6 and died during a recent flood. The drives are fine and I need to get some data out. I use a USB docking box to plug in teh SATA drives, which mount and can be read nicely. But, the system drive appears to be locked and does not allow normal mount. Has anyone managet to access contents without heavy handedly reassigning control? In other words, I am trying to read it without obliterating future chance to use it as a boot.

But, the system drive appears to be locked and does not allow normal mount.

Does not "allow" normal mount in what way? How are you mounting it?
If you have have encryption protection or something like bit-locker you will
have to know the password. If not, you won't be able to get anything off the drive.

If you don't care about the data, just reformat it.
You can still use it as a boot drive after it's re-formatted.

All sorted, thank you! I was mounting the boot drive on a USB docking station, which didn't give me access to that drive. I did read all other physical drives (I had four in the system). I suspect there is some form of mapping the boot drive data that prevents such brute force activities for security reasons.

I have an identical system that still lives, I physicall swapped its boot drive and the drive booted nicely in the other chassis. All data is off now, problem solved!

Thanks for getting back to me on this!

Oh, BTW, I do care very much about the data, hence the faff :) It was a data acquisition system running a big piece of kit. I had a major flood in the lab, which killed the workstation.

Members online

Latest posts