Reccomend me a distro...

LearnMore

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys, I'm looking for a distro recommendation.

Recently acquired a Thinkpad T480 and planning to dual boot, Win10 and Linux.
Otherwise Win7 desktop for everything.
Want to try out and get a feel for Linux ...just general 'every day' computing to start with.
Even a new Win install takes a day or two to configure, so don't mind some work and learning curve ....but, not too much at this stage.

The kind of apps I use:

Firefox
Thunderbird/Outlook
Microsoft Office: Excel, word etc...
Tor
qBittorrent
ESET: Firewall/Anti-Virus

And, eventually( don't worry too much as they will come into the picture further down the road ):
Visual Studio 2017/C++
Video/Audio editing

Normally, I would spend months researching and try a few different distros, but time is very limited.
Laptop has to be fully prepped and ready to rock in 3 weeks time for an extended trip into the back of beyond and still have a seemingly endless list of stuff to do with very little time to do it.

I've heard good things about Ubuntu and Mint but have little idea what the difference is or why they are relatively good?
Elementary OS looks nice, but read somewhere a lot of the apps are paid?

Thanks,

Last edited:

I've been playing around with Solus and really enjoying it's stability these past few months. After I left the debian distros I started playing around with Arch (Antergos and Manjaro) but they kept crashing on me. I'm an above average user with some networking skills but it doesn't take much for me to crash a system. Then I heard that nvidia was working on "Clear Linux" and I tried it but it's in it's infancy so as wicked fast as it is; there is still a lot of work left before it's truly ready. Then I heard that Solus had some shared developers and that it's been stable for quite some time. It's seriously worth checking out. It's beautiful and it's crazy fast if you have decent hardware (thinkpad would scream running Solus!).

I use arch but if u r looking for arch distro to start i would use manjaro. The desktop environment is also important and plasma is best

Members online