Recommend me an image viewer please

XStein17

Reaction score
Credits
Is there any image viewer for ubuntu that is similar to the windows 7 image viewer? or at least one that can be customized in a way that gets similar to the windows 7 one.

I wonder what Windows 7 image viewer look like?

https://itsfoss.com/image-viewers-linux/ ?
LIke this:

I want something very simple, with just a 1:1 zoom option, nothing else, I managed to customize Gwenview into something like that but I couldn't get rid of that thing that appears when zoomed in.

Did you try reinstalling it ?

I've placed a vid here at the other Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/help-with-gwenview.25693/post-78075

... which details the glitch with Gwenview.

Actually, @XStein17 , I am curious as to how you have Gwenview in the first place, did you install it?

Or are you on Kubuntu, not Ubuntu?

Default Image Viewer for Ubuntu 19.10 'Eoan Ermine' if you are using the GNOME DE (Desktop Interface) is literally

Image Viewer.

There are additional choices if you right click an image to open with, perhaps

Eye of MATE Image Viewer
Shotwell Image Viewer (has some handy tools)
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Firefox itself
and perhaps Eye of GNOME Viewer

So what gives?

Also, if using the link Arochester provided (nice link), the author makes a typo with one (1) Viewer -

KPhotoAlbum

He says

sudo apt kphotoalbum

to install, should be

sudo apt install kphotoalbum

Cheers

Wizard

I've placed a vid here at the other Thread

https://www.linux.org/threads/help-with-gwenview.25693/post-78075

... which details the glitch with Gwenview.

Actually, @XStein17 , I am curious as to how you have Gwenview in the first place, did you install it?

Or are you on Kubuntu, not Ubuntu?

Default Image Viewer for Ubuntu 19.10 'Eoan Ermine' if you are using the GNOME DE (Desktop Interface) is literally

Image Viewer.

There are additional choices if you right click an image to open with, perhaps

Eye of MATE Image Viewer
Shotwell Image Viewer (has some handy tools)
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Firefox itself
and perhaps Eye of GNOME Viewer

So what gives?

Also, if using the link Arochester provided (nice link), the author makes a typo with one (1) Viewer -

KPhotoAlbum

He says

to install, should be

sudo apt install kphotoalbum

Cheers

Wizard
Gwenview is available on Ubuntu Software. I didn't like the default image viewer, I am looking for an image viewer like the windows 7 one to read comics cause that's the one I'm used to read with. Gwenview was the only one I could customize in a way I like, but that thing is bothering me and it is the only thing that can't be edited, if it weren't for that Gwenview would be perfect for me.

Last edited:
Guess what : this is free software which means we can tweak it !
I have plenty of things to do, but i'll take a look at the project and eventually add an option to disable this feature.
I'd be extremely thankful if you did that.

Ok nailed it. The feature is called "birdeyeview". Now I have to add a nice checkbox to the config panel and I'm done. I'll give you a link to a amd64 packet and make a pull request on the project. It will probably be integrated in a future release.

Ok nailed it. The feature is called "birdeyeview". Now I have to add a nice checkbox to the config panel and I'm done. I'll give you a link to a amd64 packet and make a pull request on the project. It will probably be integrated in a future release.
Thank you so much!!!! I'll be waiting for it.

Julien, does @XStein17 (or others) need to remove the existing GwenView first, before unpackaging the .deb file?

Wizard

Julien, does @XStein17 (or others) need to remove the existing GwenView first, before unpackaging the .deb file?

Wizard

Nope. Installing an already installed package with dpkg will trigger current package uninstall script and will proceed to install the new version.

I'm working on submitting a proper diff to the project, but KDE has some strange way to handle things.

Same as he said ^^

:)

Members online