recommendation for distro for my laptop

G

greyowl

I am totally new to linux. I have always used XP.

I need help in selecting a distro which is not difficult to use and works OK with an older laptop. I use the laptop for internet, flash video, word processing, printing , scanning, photos, and CD burning.

The laptop specs are the following:

Dell Latitude D600
1.6 Ghz Pentium M processor
1 GB RAM
20 GB hard drive
ATI Radeon video
Sigma Tel C-Major audio

I second that. See if you can bump up the RAM about a gig. RAM is the cheapest it's ever been.Can't hurt to bump the HD also. See if you can get it to 120. Then your Dell will really rock!

My Toshiba laptop has
RAM 1GB, intel core 2 solo
windows vista basic

which linux distro is most suitable for my laptop
i want to learn android developing and web developing
thanks all

If you read he posts above the Dell had 1Mb of Ram. @Jim Laughlan said
See if you can bump up the RAM about a gig. RAM is the cheapest it's ever been.Can't hurt to bump the HD also. See if you can get it to 120.
Check out what your laptop can be maxxed to.

Many distros will do. I recommended LXDE because it it light on resources, rich in apps, based on the *buntu stable and tied to LTS (Long Term Support).

Last edited:
Thank you sir
ေက်းဇူးတင္ပါတယ္

@arochester and @Staff , for any "which distro should I choose" question, I usually recommend people check these articles
I have updates and more articles like this coming in the future

@arochester and @Staff , for any "which distro should I choose" question, I usually recommend people check these articles
I have updates and more articles like this coming in the future
Ha... :D I thought you were tagging the ACTUAL Staff..... :D Then I realized, Staff's name is, well, "Staff"..... :3

My Toshiba laptop has
RAM 1GB, intel core 2 solo
windows vista basic

which linux distro is most suitable for my laptop
i want to learn android developing and web developing
thanks all
Yeah, there's a NUMBER of Linux Distros that would work on that thing..... :D I use Lubuntu, and, like the others have said: That, and many OTHER Distros are great for your Machine..... :3

Ubuntu=Gnome (with Unity shell)
Kubuntu=KDE
Xubuntu=Xfce
Lubuntu=Lxde

Not so much Lubuntu with xfce desktop as a hybrid...

Members online