recommended linux distro for an AMD-based laptop?

theraptoragasus

Reaction score
Credits
The laptop is a new HP AMD ryzen 3500u and vega 8 device. I tried installing multiple linux distros like mint, elementary and primeOS. None worked, all booted up and greeted me with a black screen.

I have tried to google the thing multiple times but haven't found a satisfactory answer yet.

Just a note on your profile - please put NO age at all, rather than something like 119, it just skews our stats needlessly. :)

1. What burning method did you use with the .isos, and was the medium USB stick or DVD?

2. Is there an existing OS eg Windows and which, on the rig?

Welcome to the forum.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Just a note on your profile - please put NO age at all, rather than something like 119, it just skews our stats needlessly. :)

1. What burning method did you use with the .isos, and was the medium USB stick or DVD?

2. Is there an existing OS eg Windows and which, on the rig?

Welcome to the forum.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

oh, didn't see that

i burned them using rufus, medium was usb all three times

yes, Windows 10 is the existing OS

Thanks for that. Can you give us the exact versions of the following, that you tried

I tried installing multiple linux distros like mint, elementary and primeOS

I know nothing about PrimeOS, I am afraid.

I am from Australia, so I am several hours ahead of you, but by all means take help from others.

Wizard

Thanks for that. Can you give us the exact versions of the following, that you tried

I know nothing about PrimeOS, I am afraid.

I am from Australia, so I am several hours ahead of you, but by all means take help from others.

Wizard

oh,
i used linux mint xfce version 20
and elementary os 5.1.6

Hey, I own a Ryzen 5 3550H Laptop with Manjaro 20.0.3 which works fine for me.
I'm not sure about the distros mentioned above because i haven't really tried installing them yet.
if you're going to try installing Manjaro make sure to use dd mode in Rufus as i had issues with the ISO mode during installation.

Hey, I own a Ryzen 5 3550H Laptop with Manjaro 20.0.3 which works fine for me.
I'm not sure about the distros mentioned above because i haven't really tried installing them yet.
if you're going to try installing Manjaro make sure to use dd mode in Rufus as i had issues with the ISO mode during installation.
Thank you for the response! i might try manjaro as well

Edit: I installed Manjaro and it works surprisingly well.
The only issue: It doesn't detect any wifi networks, i have tried installing network manager and installing software updates through tethering but the system still does not detect wifi networks.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response! i might try manjaro as well

Edit: I installed Manjaro and it works surprisingly well.
The only issue: It doesn't detect any wifi networks, i have tried installing network manager and installing software updates through tethering but the system still does not detect wifi networks.
Glad to know that it works well. Ive had issues with wifi in the past which i was able to fix with reinstalling network drivers / changing the kernel version. Your mileage may vary though.

Glad to know that it works well. Ive had issues with wifi in the past which i was able to fix with reinstalling network drivers / changing the kernel version. Your mileage may vary though.

Hmm, I might search the internet for possible solutions, thanks for your input

Try Solus if an altrernative to manjaro is wanted, if not, forget it.

Can anyone suggest a stable linux distro for Acer Nitro 5 with AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx and Radeon RX 560x GPU ??
I'hv tried Manjaro KDE plasma 20, Ubuntu 20.04, POP! OS 20 but none has supported Rx 560x GPU drivers.

It'd probably be wisest to start your own thread, rather than dredging up an old one.

I suppose a little bit,that maybe you should choose and try cent-os?
If you don't See any solution,try IT?

In my Case,i'm a little Bit of impatient,so i will start the Installation-prozess in 1hour

Members online

Latest posts