RedHat Linux VM Domain Joining

linuxnaive

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all, I am new to Linux and need some suggestion on Azure Linux VM (RHEL 7.7) domain joining using bash script. I wrote below script for each steps needed to domain join a linux (rhel) vm. The script seems working fine but, as I am new to linux world, I need advise on below steps and I might be missing any best practice on these configuration especially on step 2, 3 & 6.
Note: I am thinking to implement DR using azure site recovery so as per my understanding I am configuring dynamic dns settings (step 6).

#1# Install required packages
yum install realmd sssd krb5-workstation krb5-libs oddjob oddjob-mkhomedir samba-common-tools -y

#2# Add the DNS suffix to hostname
hostnamectl set-hostname ${HOSTNAME,,}.$DOMAINLOWERCASE

systemctl restart NetworkManager

#3# Add domain to /etc/resolv.conf
cat <<EOF | tee -a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DOMAIN=$DOMAIN
EOF

systemctl restart NetworkManager

#4# Initialise Kerberos
echo $PASSWORD | kinit $USERNAME@$DOMAIN

#5# Join the domain
echo $PASSWORD | realm join $DOMAIN -U $USERNAME@$DOMAIN --computer-ou=$OUPATH --verbose

#6# Dyndns settings and homedir settings
cat <<EOF | sudo tee -a /etc/sssd/sssd.conf
dyndns_update = true
dyndns_refresh_interval = 43200
dyndns_update_ptr = true
dyndns_ttl = 3600
dyndns_auth = gss-tsig
override_homedir = /home/%d/%u
EOF

systemctl restart sssd

Any Suggestion/feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Having to configure kerberos and other services needed to join a domain the chances are high you will run into something or make mistake and will cost you a load of time to debug. Just use IDM that way you can have your IDM server create a trust with a Windows AD and have your Linux clients talking to your IDM server.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts