RedHat RHCSA8 - EX200

MeAPAC

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Friends,

RedHat - RHCSA8 - EX200

I have a doubt related to the in RHCSA8 - EX200.

I feel like both of the below 2 questions are for mounting a remote server directory using 2 different methods.

Questions are separated as Q1 (a,b,c) and Q2 (a,b,c,d,e).

Kindly refer the below 2 questions and explain me the difference between Q1 (b,c) and Q2 (b,c,d)

=====================================

*** Q1) Ensure that the network file system called /share is persistently mounted on /local-share across reboot. The NFS server servera.lab.example.com exports the /sharenetwork file system. The NFS export path is servera.lab.example.com:/share.

** a) Create the /local-share directory.

mkdir /local-share

** b) Append the appropriate entry to /etc/fstab so that the network file system available at servera.lab.example.com:/share is persistently mounted on /local-share across reboot.

echo "servera.lab.example.com:/share /local-share \nfs rw,sync 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

** c) Mount the network file system on /local-share based on the entry in /etc/fstab.

mount /local-share

=====================================

*** Q2) Configure serverb to automatically mount the home directory of the production5 user when the user logs in, using the network file system /home-directories/production5.This network file system is exported from servera.lab.example.com. Adjust the appropriate SELinux Boolean so that production5 can use the NFS-mounted home directory on serverb after authenticating via SSH key-based authentication. The production5 user's password is redhat.

** a) On serverb, use the sudo -i command to switch to the root user account.
sudo -i

** b) Install the autofs package.

yum install autofs

** c) Create the autofs master map file called /etc/auto.master.d/production5.autofs with the following content.

/- /etc/auto.production5

** d) Create the /etc/auto.production5 file with the following content.

/localhome/production5 -rw servera.lab.example.com:/home-directories/production5

** e) Restart the autofs service.

systemctl restart autofs

G'day @MeAPAC and welcome to linux.org.

You might do a little better in an examination if you at least pay the attention to a site you join to see where is best to post a Thread on Redhat, it is certainly not General Linux.

https://www.linux.org/forums/red-hat-and-derivatives.153/

I am moving you there now.

@f33dm3bits can you take a look at this please?Thanks.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The difference between the methods used Q1 and Q2 is that with Q1 fstab is used to mount a network share which occurs during boot. With Q2 auto-mount is being used with a home directory that is a network share and in that situation the directory is only mounted when a user accesses the directory and unmounted after not being used for a period of time.

Last edited:

Members online