Release 15 Alpha 1 imminent (2021), 15 Final Release (2022)

That's worthy of a full announcement in the Slackware sub-forum (here).

As our resident guru, I'll leave that up to you.

After 6 years... WELCOME BACK SLACKWARE!

you couldn't resist that could you haha ; as i'm not there can you use your right hand to tap your your left wrist as a reprimand of yourself ?

been offered a computer which an organization will ship to Africa, so I might just install Slackware 15 onto it; should be good for another 5 years ?

i got the live up and running and installed slpkg : https://dslackw.gitlab.io/slpkg/

https://gitlab.com/dslackw/slpkg/blob/master/EXAMPLES.md

I need to check which mirrors should be used current or stable ; not exactly sure I think current freezes for a while , should be interesting if anybody from slackbuilds.org contacts me for the one I maintain

Desktop I used plasma x11 gdisk, cfdisk are there by default and I noted a wacom tablet help finder

update: i'm on live 15 now - had problems with slpkg - i think the devis behind don't bother with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-09_19-26-33.png
    Screenshot_2022-02-09_19-26-33.png
    158.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Downloaded the live iso and it boots. but haven't played with it much yet. Will wait till I have the time. Today is busy.

Andy, I have modified the Thread title to reflect that this is nearly a year old, and has progressed from Alpha 1 to Final.

Figured you wouldn't mind.

I note that David G.'s jokes have not improved over the intervening year.

Cheers

Chris

no problem thanks Chris

update I forgot that just using "dd" isn't going to give and persistence and thus , that was the reason for failure with slpkg

I haven't installed slackware15 to any PC, so I had to use the dd version of slackware 15 live and use Alien Bob's iso2usb.sh script and use that to format another usb with thr live iso. This time after installing a few packages got slpkg working. See image where i searched for nano

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-10_15-23-58.png
    Screenshot_2022-02-10_15-23-58.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I note that David G.'s jokes have not improved over the intervening year.

You're sure gonna be surprised when you find out they *never* get any better!

I'm hoping to get to spin up v. 15 this weekend. I want to see what's different.

@KGIII well i did notice on the live something about a wacom tablet helper finder wiget ; for wifi don't forget to go in rc.d and chmod a+x relevant rc.x as required then # /etc/rc.d/rc.x start

The reason why things don't all work straight out of the box is because PV doesn't make any assumptions and lets you decide

Also the man from Mars did a quick summary : https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/slackware-15-0-has-been-released-on-2022-02-02/

Last edited:
I am *hoping* to have time tomorrow to poke at it. I'm not sure if I'll go for a bare metal install on a temp test box or if I'll go with a VM.

Members online