Relevantly weak computer. Any possible distros?

T

thegrassybush

I have an old computer that isn't very reliable for me anymore. Specs below.

Ubuntu is NOT an option. I have indeed used it before. I have gotten a type of hall-of-mirrors effect which did not allow me to properly use it.

It would also be nice if I can use my Netgear wireless internet adapter as well. "NETGEAR RangeMax(TM) Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter WPN111" is the driver I'm using for the moment.

If I switch OSs, it's going to be all or nothing. I'm not planning on dual-booting. I'm just tired of Windows XP. It's really unreliable now.

And no, getting a new computer is not an option for the moment. My financial situation is getting pretty bad.

Computer specs:
Original build: Dell Dimension B110.
CPU: Changed, Pentium 4.
GPU: Unchanged, Intergraded terribleness.
HDD: Changed, 37 GBs.
RAM: Changed, 2 GBs.
MOBO: Unchanged.
PSU: Unchanged. (although may not have relevance.)

many distros

It all depends what you need. Best option can be zenix. Try peppermint. Mint 10. Arch ,puppy. Hope helps

I like #! CrunchBang very much. It's blazing fast, minimalistic, yet good looking.

Although you also might wanna try (a newer?) version of Ubuntu. Or try booting with the nomodeset and/or xforcevesa kernel option, and/or omit 'quiet' and 'splash'. (when in Grub, press e to edit the boot options).

Try Slacko Puppy 5.3.3. It has the latest drivers for networking, both wired and wireless, even 3G modems. The GUI is very close to Windows so the learning curve is very short and smooth.

+1 peppermint two [For out-of-the-box workability and customizability (and with 2GB RAM!)
#! is good but any Debian can be frustrating for newbies when it comes to wireless. If go this route, look into the smxi script, as a suggestion.
Have not tried zenix, but will in the future as it intrigues me.
One may always count on Victor to suggest the commendable Slacko, as well!

OP said, "If I switch OSs, it's going to be all or nothing. I'm not planning on dual-booting. I'm just tired of Windows XP. It's really unreliable now." Right on -- be Pane-free!

+1 peppermint two [For out-of-the-box workability and customizability (and with 2GB RAM!)
#! is good but any Debian can be frustrating for newbies when it comes to wireless. If go this route, look into the smxi script, as a suggestion.
Have not tried zenix, but will in the future as it intrigues me.
One may always count on Victor to suggest the commendable Slacko, as well!

OP said, "If I switch OSs, it's going to be all or nothing. I'm not planning on dual-booting. I'm just tired of Windows XP. It's really unreliable now." Right on -- be Pane-free!

How come you make it sound like I have recommended something bad when I suggested Slacko? Just kidding.

The reason why I am using Puppy Linux was because that's the smallest distro that I could make to work on my old laptop. On top of that, Puppy Linux works very much like Windows as far as files and drives are concerned. I don't have to worry about chown and chmod.

Other than that, the Puppy Linux developers really work on making the distro work out of the box. Like making it connect to the net without any configuration. Now Slacko has got support for 3G modems, too.

To the OP: You can try out several different distros if they run live from a CD/DVD. You said Ubuntu is not an option, but in my experience, it has the most complete drivers. Everything will probably work without having to really search for sollutions. And, it is live, so afer you boot it, you will know if everything works without having to install.

Other than that, everyone has given good solutions. Puppy may be what you need, or try one of the others mentioned here.

Members online

Latest posts