Remote Desktop app -- please recommend

Shmu26

Reaction score
Credits
On Windows I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to remote into my Windows 10 machine.
Looking for something like that on Linux.
I tried Remimma but I was very unhappy with the visual quality. It was really grainy and low-quality.
I am connecting over LAN, not over internet.
I am just looking for something that works, even if it is not open-source.

I usually use VNC to do this. You need a VNC server on one side, and a VNC client on the other side.

It depends on what you need to do when you enter the remote computer. I use TeamViewer for that but if you need to SSH into it, then I can't help with that.

Note that to use teamviewer both parties have to connect to the same server. There's a possibility that they could be eavesdropping on your session. For that reason, I haven't used it since the latter 2000's. Apparently they don't allow SSH, so that's a definite red flag.

TeamViewer is supposed to work on a LAN (instructions here) and not require connection to TeamViewer company servers. The LAN computers must have connectivity (can ping each other). TeamViewer can also Wake-On-Lan (WOL) if remote computer is in sleep, hibernation, or even powered off... if the hardware allows it and is configured properly (instructions here).

I also like TeamViewer - 'cause it just works. I accept that it's proprietary and just don't do anything on it that I'd care if people knew about. I use it pretty much every day.

I also use SSH a goodly amount. You can even forward some graphical applications over SSH if you want.

I also sometimes use RealVNC, 'cause it just works. Configuring other VNC applications has always been hit-or-miss with me, even if I follow precise directions.

If I use TeamViewer free version over LAN, will it disconnect me after a certain number of minutes?

I don't think there are any built-in timers to cut you off. When you're on a LAN only, it can't phone home to report your usage. But I am not sure because I don't use it on a LAN. It does seem to time out when used for long periods over the internet, but the time seems to vary for me. Some of my shorter time disconnects may just be due to network congestion.

If you use it a lot over the internet, they may cut off your service thinking you are using it commercially. I've had this happen to me. But it was pretty easy to respond to them and explain the circumstances, after which they allowed me to continue.

It just gives you a nag when you close it. There's no time limit.

On Windows I use Microsoft Remote Desktop to remote into my Windows 10 machine.
Looking for something like that on Linux.
I tried Remimma but I was very unhappy with the visual quality. It was really grainy and low-quality.
I am connecting over LAN, not over internet.
I am just looking for something that works, even if it is not open-source.
2022-11-01_10-59.png
It turns out that Remmina has preferences that fix the problems I was experiencing

Staff online