Remove Ubuntu and keep Grub.

F

floopy

Hi there.. here is the deal... i have 3partitions and swap... one big for space one windows 7 and one Kubuntu.
Here is table:
Code:
SDA1    >NTFS    >System Reserved    >100mb

SDA2    >NTFS    >Windows7    >40gb

SDA3    >Extended    >260gb

in SDA3>>>

>SDA6    >SWAP    >2gb

>SDA7    >EXT4    >Ubuntu    >40gb

>SDA8    >NTFS    >[no os]just for stuff    >220gb

Now what i want is to remove linux becouse i have realise that windows 7 need more space to work better and don't use linux that mutch.
I want to completely remove Ubuntu, format the ubuntu and the swap partitions and then extend the windows7 partitions but the question i ask is:
How to keep GRUB after remove the linux partition?
You may think its a stupit question but i couldn't ask if it was so easy... here is the issue I HAVE NO CD OR DVD I'm now running Linux.. it work everythink is fine for now but how can i install grub in the big partition sda8 from my running linux without liveCD ?
Thank you :)

Hallo,try to follow this procedure:
- Boot a Gparted-CD
- create some free space (50MB will do)
- move partitions, so the free space is in the primary part
- boot into Linux
- create a new partition (EXT3) on the created free part
- flag it bootable
- move /boot to the newly created partition
- Edit boot.list and run grub-install

hi

Hallo,try to follow this procedure:
- Boot a Gparted-CD
- create some free space (50MB will do)
- move partitions, so the free space is in the primary part
- boot into Linux
- create a new partition (EXT3) on the created free part
- flag it bootable
- move /boot to the newly created partition
- Edit boot.list and run grub-install
10x for the reply.. but my problem was that i don't have cd-drive... finnaly i found some cd-drive but then i found out that the partition i want to merge with my windows is in extended but my windows is in logical so i had to re-edit the whole partition table and format windows too... but i did it :D but thank you anyway ;)

Why you want to keep grub2? This can make a lots problem in another state. As well, what do you mean with:
Now what i want is to remove linux becouse i have realise that windows 7 need more space to work better and don't use linux that mutch.
That sounds a bit wired....

so far
akendo

good luck with this, may you return one day to linux.

Why you want to keep grub2? This can make a lots problem in another state. As well, what do you mean with:

That sounds a bit wired....

so far
akendo

good luck with this, may you return one day to linux.
i use to have 40gb windows 7 and 50gb linux... but i didn't use linux so mutch and my windows partition get out of space... can't explain more simple ;)

If you're totally getting rid of linux, can't you tell windows to find that drive/partition and format it for its own? You won't need grub to boot into windows - but i'm not sure how windows will react (or how to repair windows) if you delete grub.. I faintly remember "fdisk /mbr" in windows.. but that was probably in the win95 days?

the problem was that the 50gb linux and other 250gb with my info and backups was in extended partition and 40gb windows was logical partition... i formated linux then windows but they was still separated so i had to edit the whole partition table and thanks god i didn't lose those 250gb info :D
now its fixed... 250 gb info, 90 gb windows and no linux anymore :p :D i didn't like linux mutch as i like the new KDE.. but linux is so slow.. no good video drivers, no good flash player, and linux can't detect bad sectors on the hard drive... no specialy NO GAMES :D i still like linux just no

Members online